• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'52 Oliver 77 & '51 Ferguson TO-30

Fatjay

Finished rebuilding the spool valves on my '52 Oliver, yesterday I spent some time clearing some brush out. After that, I took out the '51 ferguson with bucket and blade and smoothed everything out. Still a bit of work to do, but it's much improved from how overgrown it was. The railroad ties, concrete barriers, pipes, stakes, and sheets of rubber were abundant in the mess, but I managed to get it all clear.

LGqxaf9.jpg

DOMYdGq.jpg

KkfLXoA.jpg

OWCLoaK.jpg

Fatjay

Today I went at clearing brush again, cleared 3 tree's, and got my ferguson stuck while grading. I forgot I had dumped an old rain barrel there, and the front wheel sunk up to the axle. Tree's behind me, I couldn't go backward or forward. I took my oliver over and put a lift strap around the axle and lifted it strait up, then filled some dirt, and put a 2"x6" under it. Of course then it wouldn't start, so I just tarped it right as it started to rain. Not sure how I'd have gotten it unstuck without the oliver, it's supposed to rain for the next 3 days strait.
Em1Xmxo.jpg

JtGXXcF.jpg

Actually looking at this picture, I noticed my tire pressure may be a bit low on the oliver. It does have the full weight of the ferguson on it though. I checked afterwards and it is sitting normal.

TLc7Fpu.jpg

My "helpers" staying clear in case something falls.

CTB5Uto.jpg

And the area is looking much cleaner. Hopefully the rain will make the dirt settle so I can see how much dirt I need to add to level it off.

ctMiVRN.jpg

lantraxco

Good work... That Ferguson is the twin to my Dad's, except his still has the narrow loader bucket and the old trip setup not a dump cylnder.

Fatjay

I have the narrow bucket too, but the narrow bucket isn't useful for much for me. The setup is the same that was sold for the 8n, I've seen quite a few of them. Not many have the dump cylinder though. It's to long, though, it won't curl all the way back to get a good bite. Still works great for grading.

lantraxco

No, the narrow bucket is only good for loading out of a pile or bank really. Still can do a job for no bigger than it is.

One polite suggestion, buy or build a stout roll bar for both of those machines. I see on the Ferguson the rear wheels are turned so it sits wide, that's good, but on side slopes or going uphill you can still turn one over and it happens faster than you would think. About forty years ago my dad laid his over on it's side and was quick enough to step off running. It didn't go on over as the ground was flat beside the bank he was cutting on. He turned the wheels out after that, gave it that wide stance. He's 84 now and I don't think he's spry enough to jump and run anymore!

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
The loaders for the TO's and N Fords were not really meant to dig or load dirt with but were intended for that great farm job of handling manure.

Rick

Fatjay

I've debated a roll bar, but the land is fairly flat. The wheels are out, and I'm not moving great amounts of dirt with the bucket, just smaller amounts. It's primarily for grading iwth the 3pt and with the bucket. My oliver is the real dirt mover, 55hp vs 30hp, power steering vs not, and a much better built frame to handle the weight.

I finished the lower area's grading today. It's nice and smooth and all cleaned up. I'll put maybe 10-15 loads of dirt down there to raise the level a bit, smooth that out, and then start putting down landscape timbers for the base of the new shed. I'll be dropping the hoe off the oliver when it's time, so I will be able to maneuver better. The oliver bucket isn't as large, but it should still be ok.

The only thing I'm really missing with these machines is a shuttle shift. Working that clutch so often movign short distances, my knee is killing me by the time I'm done.

lantraxco

Suit yourself, just thought I would mention it. That is one of the inherent dangers with these old dogs though, with nothing on the back, they can and will come over backwards, like as not when a wet boot slips off that metal clutch pedal in low gear.

Cheers,
Lanway