• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

503L Handbrake layout

Maddad64

G’day all from Biloela Queensland Oz,
I have a Galion 503L serial # 510427 with some of the handbrake assembly missing. I have recently found a parts dealer and provided him with photos of what I have in situ on the machine. He has sent me what he believes I require including a new cable and brake shoes, second hand brake drum, linkages, and springs. What I’m needing help with is an exploded view / layout of the handbrake mechanism to work out where all the linkages etc fit up. Can anybody help me with this? I don’t own a parts book.
Best regards

Attachments

• IMG_0853.jpeg
    IMG_0853.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0854.jpeg
    IMG_0854.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0855.jpeg
    IMG_0855.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0856.jpeg
    IMG_0856.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12

Maddad64

Thanks Clyde, not sure if your machine and mine are similar. If you know that they are, than yes please some pictures would be handy. If anybody knows where I can get hold of a service and parts book for a reasonable price I’d be interested too.
Best regards.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Maddad64 - Plough Book Sales has a copy of the Galion 503L service manual for AU$105.

You'll find the Galion 503L handbrake uses all standard International Harvester parts and components, so the handbrake on the 503L will have the same components and layout as other IH machines of the same era - such as International trucks.

So if you can find an old "butterbox" ACCO from the 1960's, and slide underneath it at the rear of the transmission/s, you will see the principle of the handbrake operation.

Clyde Hathaway

Attached are the parts pages for my 503L, about 1975 model, SN#GM06886. They probably are as OxDozer says as well.

Attachments

• Galion Parking Brake Parts Descr.jpg
    Galion Parking Brake Parts Descr.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Galion Parking Brake Parts.jpg
    Galion Parking Brake Parts.jpg
    743.3 KB · Views: 6

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Maddad64 - If you scroll down through the photos of the 503L on the auction site below, there's a fairly clear photo of the handbrake mechanism.
You can open these photos in a new window and enlarge them to a very large size by clicking on them.

Maddad64

Maddad64 - If you scroll down through the photos of the 503L on the auction site below, there's a fairly clear photo of the handbrake mechanism.
You can open these photos in a new window and enlarge them to a very large size by clicking on them.

Thanks for that information Ozdozer. I did read about the IH parts being interchangeable. I don’t have a butter box but do have a 1976 D1610 Inter at home. I’ll slide under it and check the handbrake out on it.
Best regards..

Clyde Hathaway

Here are a couple photos of mine - which does not operate by cable. A rod and all hardware as shown activate it even though the handle in the cab looks very similar to your photo.

Attachments

• 20231220_085422_tn.jpg
    20231220_085422_tn.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231220_085451_tn.jpg
    20231220_085451_tn.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 7

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Don, it's the Australian-designed and manufactured International Harvester cabover model, first introduced in 1959 to fill an order for 4x4's and 6x6's for the Australian Army.

In 1961, IH Australia decided to produce a civilian version using the same squared-off cabin. First models were 4x2, then a 6x2. Initially it was called the AACO (Australian A-line Cab Over), and had 4 headlights.

Around 1967, it was redesigned to a single headlight design and it was now called the ACCO (Australian C-line Cab Over). In 1970, the cabin was moved forward 10 inches to improve driver access, but the cabin remained essentially the same.

It became a very popular truck and was produced in large numbers in 4x2, 6x2, 6x4 and 8x4 configurations.
It gained the "butterbox" nickname due to its square-nosed cabin, which reminded older people of the square boxes that butter originally came in.

The photo is of a later model (1970-1972) ACCO with the forward-mounted cabin and the step in front of the wheel and lowered bottom of the door, which facilitated driver access.
Earlier ACCO's had a straight bottom door, and there was a step ring on the wheel to gain cab access.

Maddad64

Here are a couple photos of mine - which does not operate by cable. A rod and all hardware as shown activate it even though the handle in the cab looks very similar to your photo.
Thanks again Clyde, could I please trouble you for a photo of the area where the linkage connects to the bottom cab and also the anchor side of the brake shoes. No hurry thanks.