• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

503L front spindle problems looking for suggestions

goldhunter_2

ok same 503L galion grader , the front spindle basically has one bolt that holds the outer bear and washer (thus the wheel) onto the spindle . this bolt keeps back out maybe a hour of use or a week of use then wheel falls off as I drive :( I have tried wire tie the bolt but snapped the aircraft wire yesterday after about 100 feet , I put it back together again (3rd time that day) just to try to get out of road and back home it went a few more feet and the grade 8 bolt snapped this time .

am I missing some type of part that holds that wheel on and putting to much pressure on that bolt ? anyone have the parts drawing for the front left spindle to see if I am missing a something seems there should be more then one bolt holding that tilt wheel

goldhunter_2

only picture I have is one of the another time it popped off few weeks ago , right now machine is out road side I have to wait until I get the excavator by there to tow it home to work on. I have the wheel litterial strapped to machine just to keep dust out of bearings, when ever I can get it home if none has the schematics of the front spindle I will try to get some close up pictures to post for you

Attachments

• IMG_2753.JPG
    IMG_2753.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 23

Welder Dave

A better pic. would help but can you see how the other front wheel is attached? Thinking it came loose and that's why it broke. Would Loctite be a solution?

goldhunter_2

actual it keep coming loose and falling off several times , I think I said I did try wire tie like the other side but it broke the wire and backed out , then next time it snapped the grade 8 bolt instead of backing out . Also it will still be several days before I can recover the grader and get it back here to get pictures, however if someone has pictures of the spindle I can point out what part it is

No loctite will not resolve the issue

for some reason there is to much force on the left side spindle and wheel just have not figured out why yet

Welder Dave

Could the wheel turning be causing the bolt/nut to loosen? There's something different on the left wheel of your grader. Really need to see what you're dealing with. I think the other side might tell you what's wrong.

goldhunter_2

Could the wheel turning be causing the bolt/nut to loosen?
it shouldn't the bolt in spindle has a plate that holds the inside of the outer cone bearing in

There's something different on the left wheel of your grader.
only thing I can think of is the other wheel has the Hyd tilt cylinder push against it where the left side just follows the tilt of right wheel

Really need to see what you're dealing with.
again if I had a drawing or picture I show you but I don't

I think the other side might tell you what's wrong.
well I have cracked open the other side appears the same with exception of aircraft wire ties to cover plate bolts , I tried that on the left side and it clipped the wire . I can't see anything else looks like it missing However i didn't completely disassemble the working side .....I currently have a dead excavator waiting for a high pressure pump sitting in the road about a mile form the grader with a wheel that keeps coming off and a bobcat that doesn't want to start so I have enough projects without taking any extra apart is way I figure it lol

goldhunter_2

ok just update , I just rescued the grader and carried it back home yesterday. I did call a parts yard they don't have any ideas , but did have the wheel part break down drawing , only part I see that I am missing is the roll pin that hold the washers together so don't think that is my issue , so I am still looking for suggestions

anyway we are having little bit of weather here so not able to open it up yet and get pictures , hopefully in a few more days I can get some pictures of it opened up

Attachments

• front wheel falling off IMG_3272.JPG
    front wheel falling off IMG_3272.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Galion leaning wheel assembly IMG_1371.jpg
    Galion leaning wheel assembly IMG_1371.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3271.JPG
    IMG_3271.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 20
  • rescue motorgrader carry it home.jpeg
    rescue motorgrader carry it home.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16

56wrench

If that roll pin is there, would it be up against a flat on the bolt head and act as a lock?

goldhunter_2

If that roll pin is there, would it be up against a flat on the bolt head and act as a lock?
actual that is a good point it could be if there is a pin hole in the outer plate to prevent bolt form backing out. BUT wire tieing still should have held if the pin did and still think something pushing out to shear bolt off

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
On the left side of the machine forward motion is trying to unscrew the bolt holding the wheel bearing retainer plate in place. Compare that with the right side where the same rotational motion is tending to tighten the retaining bolt. Could that be part of the problem.?

Also I see adjustment shims #44. What is the adjustment procedure for those tapered bearings.? Have you got the correct quantity of shims in the assembly.? Could the bearings be damaged in some way that is adding to the stress on the bolt.?

Crux

Here's the bearing adjustment from my 503L service manual.

I agree its time to remove bearings, clean and inspect everything...spindle and inside of hub too....also, verify bearing numbers to see if they are even correct....could be some previous 'repair' history rearing its head?

Perhaps the bolt is bottoming out before compressing shims against
bearings? Inviting a cocked, binding hub?

1712219958014.jpeg

goldhunter_2

Here's the bearing adjustment from my 503L service manual.

I agree its time to remove bearings, clean and inspect everything...spindle and inside of hub too....also, verify bearing numbers to see if they are even correct....could be some previous 'repair' history rearing its head?

Perhaps the bolt is bottoming out before compressing shims against
bearings? Inviting a cocked, binding hub?

View attachment 309333
well I have no way to verify the bearing numbers The do seem to fit when I clean off they appear in god shape not to much play no flat spots no grit , I do only have two shims and the compression washer but when cleaned up all seems fit well ...... now I am keeping in mind that all the linkage ball joints are almost as loose as my exwife

I may have been over torquing the retaining bolt as I used a impact last time

goldhunter_2

ok I did find the roll pin also sheared off flat with spindle so didn't see it before , however IF that roll pin lock the retaining bolt form turning I need a hex head of 1" diameter with bolt shaft 1/2-13 by 1.5" long and can't find them , even the grader savage yard in ks said they don't have any left . DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOURCE FOR A HIGH STRENGTH BOLT THIS SIZE?

I am including some pictures of it opened up for those who asked keep in mind it been raining and blowing dirt in there for the last week or so and needs to be cleaned and repacked agian

Attachments

• spindle measurment 1 to roll pin IMG_3293.JPG
    spindle measurment 1 to roll pin IMG_3293.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 12
  • spindle IMG_3287.JPG
    spindle IMG_3287.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 12
  • spindle hub and outter bearing IMG_3290.JPG
    spindle hub and outter bearing IMG_3290.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 11
  • spindle cover plate IMG_3289.JPG
    spindle cover plate IMG_3289.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 11

goldhunter_2

ok only lets me add four pictures at time here is the rest

Attachments

• spindle sheared off bolt IMG_3291.JPG
    spindle sheared off bolt IMG_3291.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 8
  • spindle sheared roll pin IMG_3287.JPG
    spindle sheared roll pin IMG_3287.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 9
  • spindle top side IMG_3292.JPG
    spindle top side IMG_3292.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 8
  • spinndle top IMG_3288.JPG
    spinndle top IMG_3288.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 9

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I may have been over torquing the retaining bolt as I used a impact last time
I would say that’s almost guaranteed seeing as you’re supposed to tighten it with a torque wrench.
bolt shaft 1/2-13 by 1.5" long
Cat will sell one. I’ll look up a Part Number. Are you certain about the 1.5” length.? It seems awfully short considering that it has to go through the retainer plate first. How deep is the threaded hole in the end of the spindle.?

Question: Is the outside bearing a taper roller or a ball bearing.? From the parts drawing it appears to be one piece where the inside bearing is clearly 2 pieces.

Last edited:

goldhunter_2

I would say that’s almost guaranteed seeing as you’re supposed to tighten it with a torque wrench. Cat will sell one. I’ll look up a Part Number. Are you certain about the 1.5” length.? It seems awfully short considering that it has to go through the retainer plate first. How deep is the threaded hole in the end of the spindle.?

Question: Is the outside bearing a taper roller or a ball bearing.? From the parts drawing it appears to be one piece where the inside bearing is clearly 2 pieces.
I thought the same thing to but that is with retainer plate and just short of bottom out think last time mite have bottomed with impact ........ I admit was frustrated considering that was 3-4 time that day I put it on

yes both inner and outtter are two part cone bearings and race