• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

500ton trucks...

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Hello!

I was reading afew of all the working brochures I have on my computer the other day and in the brochure of the Bucyrus 795 mining shovel and I noticed something I havent seen before..

In the list of the machines benefits it says this:

• 4-pass load capabillity for the next generation of 500ton (453.6 tonne) haul trucks

Has anyone some more info on this? I have started a thread about the new Komatsu 960E truck. Could it be one of the new generation trucks?

Another indication that we may see 500ton haul trucks in the near future is that Komatsu is already 100% able to manufacture a PC10000 for anyone who puts an order in. Dont ask for any specs as I dont know, but I do know that it will be a monster and ready to load the next generation haul trucks.

alco

I remember when they were looking at building a PC10000 for KMC Mining. Never got off the ground, and that was a few years ago now. I would imagine it would be right around the same size as an RH400. And with the sales of those taking off in the past little while, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Komatsu come out with one to compete head to head.

Last edited:

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
I remember when they were looking at building a PC10000 for KMC Mining. Never got off the ground, and that was a few years ago now. I would imagine it would be right around the same size as an RH400. And with the sales of those taking off in the past little while, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Komatsu come out with one to compete head to head.

The RH400 is 980 ton with a 44m3 bucket
The PC8000-6 is 700-720 ton depending on configuration with a 42m3 bucket

I'd say their already competing, and there are far more PC8000's in the world than there are RH400's, and I know Australia is about to take delivery of another two PC8000's to two different mine sites and as said in my post about Komatsu FrontRunner Rio Tinto are looking to buy possibly 2 for a mine in Western Australia. Dont get me wrong, the RH400 is no doubt a good machine, but when you look at the stats - more or less same size bucket capacities, same engines at same hp but yet the RH400 has an extra 280 ton to move around, well you can see where I'm going with this... :thumbsup

alco

Oh, I see where you're going with that, but trust me, if you've seen a 400 running, they blow the PC8000 out of the water. No real comparison at all. The 400 is far more stable, which allows for faster, smoother cycling. It also has 380 more hp. Take for example the H740.....it has the same hp as a 400, a slightly smaller bucket, and can't turn numbers out that even come close to the 400 we have that is older.

Last edited:

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
Remember the Cat 779A & 779B electric trucks bad very bad

Dayton3

alco

You are right about the bed not looking strong enough. I just mentioned it because it was the only rigid part tieing things together end to end. While the curved shape is inherently stronger than a flat floor and sides, I still do not think that it is up to the task of carrying 1,000 tons. It looks pretty thin and un reinforced for the amount of payload it needs to endure.

Look back into the 70's and the V-con. If I remember right, it was the first 250 ton hauler, but was a one off design, and never made production. It shared some similar thoughts of spreading the load evenly, but never did succeed.

I've looked at it and I agree. Not 1,000 tons with todays technology.

Perhaps 750 tons or 800 with the tri axle design.

One question I have with the design is this:

Doesn't the dump bed, if loaded to max when side dumping, create a significant chance of the load tipping over the entire truck?

IIRC, things similar to that have happenedd with conventional oversized dump trucks when the load sticks to the bed when dumping.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
I hope CAT comes up with a better electric truck this time than 779A & 779B, they were a nightmare to work on, the engine was removed like a vee dub from the bottom

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I agree with and read about the limiting factor being tires for going bigger on trucks. However I think I remember something about not being able to ship larger tires for trucks because things have been maxed out as far as diameter goes. Anyone know anymore on this?

alco

It has been said that they can't ship anything larger than what they already offer, but that is not true. They can definitely ship larger tires, they just have more restrictions on shipping them due to size. Costs escalate rather steeply when they try moving loads larger than the tires they are currently moving around, but it can be done.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Alco, you are so right about there, their and they're. But at some point then the size for shipping could be exceeded, just not yet.

So there, their and they're to you too. (lol)

Gavin84w

I hope CAT comes up with a better electric truck this time than 779A & 779B, they were a nightmare to work on, the engine was removed like a vee dub from the bottom

Stinkycat, would be interested to hear more indepth stuff on the 779 you worked on and was there actually a B model produced?

Gavin84w

When you say more moving parts = higher wear and maintenance are you refering to CAT transmissions/ final drives vs Komatsu electric drive systems?

Yep, thats the ones, the same ones you only have to employ mechanics to work on and not mechanics and electricians, the same one that you only have to go to one supplier for service, not 3 and the same ones that outsell the competition by 2 to 1 but on the upside i am glad there is such a good No 2!!

CAT793

Yep, thats the ones, the same ones you only have to employ mechanics to work on and not mechanics and electricians, the same one that you only have to go to one supplier for service, not 3 and the same ones that outsell the competition by 2 to 1 but on the upside i am glad there is such a good No 2!!
CAT transmissions/ final drives vs Komatsu electric drive systems?

Every one has a Horror story and a dream run.........

I have a 21000 hour old Transmission that I am watching closely at present in a 793C:- Oil Commander perfect (4ppm iron) and VIMS Slip Times low end of spec. We have 17000 hour old Final Drives that still have clean Magnets at PM and we have seen 18000 Hour old Converters only changed because we had the Engines out...........When Built Properly with all the Updates, Set/Adjusted correctly, Good Condition Monitoring (where the HELL would you find a GOOD CM???) Maintained with clean Oil and operated within Intended Design the Cat Drivetrains will far exceed expectations!

alco

So the Cat trucks are always in front of the Komatsu,s?!!

That sounds about right Gav. I dunno how they do it where he's from, but we tend to make the tow truck follow along with everybody else, not let them out to pass.

Ross

Aye well the Komatsu Electric drive trucks do have some Golden Ground ..

Mountian top removal. The electric Haulers just out perform the Mechanical drives .. (Mostly on the Heavy Downs)

Thats why CAT wanted to get the AC'ers in at the Mountian top removal sites .. (Missed the boat)

Might see some 500 ton trucks .. I think they will be from CAT .. Maybe they can Push the current 797 to take the weight?

Komatsu will need a new Truck, The 960 is a pushed 930.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
I worked on them in the mid 60's the "B" model was a dump bed,control panel,fuel tank change and up grade, the engine was a D348? V-12 twin turbo poorly designed engine small valves and would carbon up requiring replacement. Because of the compact design it was easier to drop the engine. The control system was easier to work on the Unit Rig M100
I'll try and answer and questions I can but remember that was almost 50 years ago