• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

5 ton mini excavator thumb question

Cmark

Hey all.

I'm in the process of building a cheap thumb to go on a 5 ton mini for a one off rock wall job.

How important would you say it is for the thumb to have some sort of curve or serrations at the end for grip, or will I get away with just leaving it flat?

lantraxco

For rock you're going to want both, a curve with some teeth or notches to grip hard irregular objects.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
If you don't want to go with a curve just put a good sized tooth or lip at the end of the thumb at least 3-4 inches would be my minimum for rock work.

Cmark

Thanks for the advice folks. If it doesn't look too shoddy I'll take a photo when it's done.

Cmark

Here we go. Took about a day to build. Spent more time turning the bosses and boring the holes than doing the fabricating.

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
For a one timer it looks good. For me, my thumb is priceless, I'm always using it. Id hate to have to live without it and I have a hydraulic one.

ttazzman

done some rock work myself with a fixed thumb.....i have moved a lot of large sandstone boulders with a thumb and had some breakage due to the amount of grip required would sometimes split the stone.......is there a option on a thumb where it has some give to it?

DigDirt

done some rock work myself with a fixed thumb.....i have moved a lot of large sandstone boulders with a thumb and had some breakage due to the amount of grip required would sometimes split the stone.......is there a option on a thumb where it has some give to it?
If you use a wider thumb you should have less breakage, because you are spreading the pressure point over a larger area.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Looks good Cmark, nice fab work!

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Cmark, nice looking job on that thumb, it will come in handy.