• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

5.9 cummins SAE 3 bellhousing starter issue

greerco

Hi I recently re powered my old Komatsu pc 200 with a 5.9 12 valve cummins from a pick up. I had to purchase a SAE 3 bell housing to allow the Komatsu pump to bolt to the engine. I had a adaptor plate machined to join the flywheel to the pump drive. My issue now is finding a starter. I used a 5.9 fly wheel out of a 1997 dodge 3500 standard transmission and i have a feeling that the flywheel circumference is to small and there fore the ring gear is to far away for any starter to grab it to turn it over. Does anyone know if i have the wrong fly wheel for a SAE3 bellhousing? or does anyone know of a starter that might work?

Thanks

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
On the equipment we have using the old 5.9 12 valve Cummins, the starter number is 3964428. Give that a google and see if it looks right or looks anything like the automotive starter.

greerco

Thanks for the reply. That starter isnt for a sae3 bellhousing. It looks like the starter that came off the truck

lantraxco

Find the flywheel part number from whatever truck the engine came out of if you used the old flywheel, and the part number of the #3 housing, have Cummins run them through the magic box and see if they were ever used together. Odds are they were not and you won't find a starter to match, but it's worth a try.

NZDIESEL

Occupation
Parts Salesman Earthmoving and Diesel Engine Parts
Can you give me number off your flywheel and bell housing?
I can figure out what starter you need.

NZDIESEL

Occupation
Parts Salesman Earthmoving and Diesel Engine Parts
Ive just looked at my komatsu system that lists the S6D102 / 6BT5.9 engine fitted to a PC200-6

Denso Number for Starter 228000-0633

your ring gear on flywheel should be 410mm Outside Diameter 127 teeth.

Klinger

Hello NZDIESEL I know this post is old I have the exact same issue.
1995 CUmmins 5.9 repowering Fiat Allis Loader. Used factory flywheel from Dodge and SAE3 bell housing
Bell Housing
  • Part Number: K3975179
  • OEM Number: 3975179
Flywheel
Drive Plate - Mopar (5015709AB)

1995 Dodge Ram 2500
machines flywheel to fit adapter plate to transmission. Starter from original dodge rides about .5" above ring gear. Either need right starter or need to pull engine back out and try larger flywheel Have been looking for almost a year just cam across this post.