• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

5.4 fuse box

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
That’s a good looking crew, SBerry.

Good advice, Ian. I’ll add my $.02 and recommend blowing the gravel from the spark plug wells with an air nozzle, first. While the engine is still warm, add the carb cleaner for the overnight soak.

My buddy swears by using an impact driver for removing the original two-piece plugs. Claims the instant torque breaks them loose before they can bust. IDK?

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
Suppose to be the plugs have been changed, some time ago, if this is accurate they are not OEM.
The crew there is my son and his Aunt Sue. It's her truck. If this fogger wasn't such a r&r problem would replace the broken guide we found and shove it back together.
I see a lot of discussion, she found parts kit complete, oil pump, valve timing solenoids, phasers, all of it. I will find brand and post.
She is doing lot of the work, my son hasn't been involved in this project although he does some and both fair mechanics in their own right. He is a really good problem solver. I was jammed up the other day and he says, shove the big air ratchet in there and turn. Was a real solution. People think he gets that from me but it's really from his grandmother on his mother's side. She is a top hand as is Sue.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I ordered some stuff and fogged up and didnt order the valve spring compressor. I see the scrape that caused the start noise in the cover, just what we thought we would find from the noise.
We heard a lot of mechanic in a can type fixes, glad we didnt try one.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
We all know there is an ultimate way of doing things but,,, kind of looks like a guy could turn the engine with the starter with the front off. I see a couple oil pressure tests and see something goes wrong with the tensioner causing oil leak. We had 1 upper guide on passenger all busted out and looks like the failure might have been rather recent. This thing run beautiful and quit as a church mouse, although its some work it wouldnt bother me to put a guide or 2 in and take a look at the tensioner, I believe the failure might have been gasket related according to one of the cloyes vids and could see it blown out. As miserable as second work is its certainly easier.
The vid showed 30# oil pressure old and 60 new with the starter, was thinking could get a gage on it and see? See if the tensioners are puking oil?
Rest of the engine is clean as a,,, well,,, its clean.

Last edited: