• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4G4D Wisconsin Engine

Dusty3388

Was wondering if any one out there could tell me if the number 3 cyl rod bearing was prone to go bad because of lubrication issues. Could the screws be taken out of the block for the oil line and run an external oil pump to to give extra lub for the rod bearings or will this work against the manual oil pump ?

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hi

I grew up in a Wisconsin engine dealer ship back in the late 50’ and thru the 60’s.

The model number should be VG4D V is the cylinder arrangement G is the series 4 is the number of cylinder and the D is the Stellite exhaust valves.

These where a hardy engine and did not have any chronic crankshaft problems.

How about some more information has this happened more than once if so what was the maintenance procedure used to correct the failed bearing?

Phil

56wrench

About the only internal problems i’ve seen over the years are stuck valves from sitting or bad cylinders from overheating due to plugged cooling fins and the occasional stripped spark plug theads. Overall, they were a fairly bulletproof design if maintained and the oil changed regularly

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Of no help to OP but:
Worked on a few years back. Seem to recall something about the firing order being different depending on if it had a magneto or distributer. Believe the magneto version had nice even spaced firing points, 90º apart, but the the distributer version had gap between two of the cylinders firing points. Best I could describe it as a 6 cylinder points cam with two adjacent lobes missing.

It's been a few decades since I worked on them so might be a bit off!

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hello kshansen

What you are describing is the difference between the Wisconsin VE, VF4 and the rest of the 4 cylinder engines.

The VE and VF had a crankshaft in them that was made like an inline 4-cylinder crankshaft and that resulted in an uneven firing order.

The rest of the V-engines had a crankshaft that was made for the V-engine and they had the even firing order.

Phil P

kshansen

Occupation
Hello kshansen

What you are describing is the difference between the Wisconsin VE, VF4 and the rest of the 4 cylinder engines.

The VE and VF had a crankshaft in them that was made like an inline 4-cylinder crankshaft and that resulted in an uneven firing order.

The rest of the V-engines had a crankshaft that was made for the V-engine and they had the even firing order.

Phil P
Glad to know I was not imagining things!

kshansen

Occupation
We need more information from Dusty3388
Agree, like 56wrench says from what I have seen these engines will take a lot of abuse. About the worse thing for them from my experience is lack of use or neglect.

Only one I recall failing while being used was a broken crank I always felt it was from the heavy side loads from the variable speed drive in an old Bobcat skid steer.

We fixed that by scrounging a used crank out of a bailer parked for years in a farm field. Had to get PTO end machined to fit the Bobcat pulley but put it back to work for little more than labor costs.

kshansen

Occupation
While we're talking old Wisconsin V-4's I recall one we had on a Marlow water pump, none of that fancy electric starter stuff on that one. Learned the hard way that the best thing is to only pull up on the crank handle.

Usually was a bit hard starting most due to the fact it would sit unused for months the we'd get a rainy streak that would flood part of the pit.

If you decided to crank around and around to get it to run once in a while it would take off at the wrong time and toss the crank handle at your face. It managed to get both myself and my dad each at least once. No serious injuries but a cut on the nose of forehead to learn by!

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
I get the idea that Dusty3388 is not paying any attention to this thread.

Phil P Sr

kshansen

Occupation
I get the idea that Dusty3388 is not paying any attention to this thread.

Phil P Sr
Yea! same here, somewhat common for someone to come on and ask a question and then never find their way back to see replies or let someone know they got it fixed.

At least if some one does show up in the future looking for help on a Wisconsin engine they might know there are or were people with some experience.