• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4d battery

flyingpassage

Occupation
retired UPS feeder driver
Had To replace my battery in my 310a today it was just 10 years old , I had heard I think on here maybe of voltage leakage on the top of the battery. Well today I grab the multi meter set it at 20 volts put the black to the neg post and the red in the grim on the top of the battery 2 or 3 inches away from the pos post my reading was from 10 to 11 volts. Now I am only a back yard mechanic for the last 55 years that would tell me when that battery is in the tray with the cables attached with the dirt on top that its discharging would anyone have any comment on this??? When I did this the battery was sitting on the ground..

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Anything that conducts electrical power and is making contact with the battery posts will drain a battery. Wet/moist dirt is the most common.
What he said, you might also not the way the battery hold down is eaten away in spots. That voltage leak will speed up that too!

Delmer

ONLY 10 YEARS OLD YOU DID VERY GOOD!!
I'd transplant that dirt to the new battery:D

Don't read too much into that voltage reading. You do want to keep the battery clean, but that's mostly to keep the connections from corroding and killing the battery from weak charging.

If you were able to measure the voltage in outside air on a brisk fall day, it would be thousands of volts in just a few yards, but we don't go around with helmets on in case of lightning strikes on clear days.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If you were able to measure the voltage in outside air on a brisk fall day, it would be thousands of volts in just a few yards, but we don't go around with helmets on in case of lightning strikes on clear days.

Delmer, speak for yourself, besides the safest thing is to line the helmet with a layer of tin foil!