• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

480B power shuttle/torque tube troubleshooting question

CARobo

Long-time reader, first time poster. I've read all the threads about the Case B series tractors and their power shuttle problems. I'm not new to tractors but I purchased my first Case 480b about 6 months ago. This is my first backhoe. Not knowing the service history, I replaced the engine oil & filter, hydraulic oil & filter, power shuttle oil, and transaxle oil. Also had the boom and dipper cylinders repacked due to really bad leaks before ever using the tractor.
The hydraulic oil, transaxle oil, and engine oil were really nasty, however the shuttle/torque tube oil was not nearly as bad. Engine performance and hydraulics performance seem very capable. The power shuttle and torque tube performance was ok but not great. After reading many threads on the B series, I've come to realize this is normal.
This tractor has 8 gear power shuttle with a torque tube. Clutch seems fine. Shifting forward and reverse and into any gears are easy.
This week, I suddenly lost torque in the tractor, similar symptom as what's been reported in many threads where the engine and hydraulics are fine, but if I try to go up a slight incline its nearly impossible. And pushing into a pile of dirt to pick up a load with the FEL is no Bueno. Engine doesn't bog down, real wheels just don't move. Prior to this, I used the backhoe for about 60 hours over the course of a month without any incident.
I do not have the Rockwell transmission that is referenced in the other threads. There is only one drain plug and it's at the rear of the shuttle/torque tube. I also do not have a shuttle filter. I removed the grill in front of the radiator and nothing other than the pump.
The shuttle oil that was in it originally wasn't milky but it appeared to be much thicker than Case TCH or Hy-Tran. Based on viscosity, it looks like 30W or maybe thicker.
When I originally replaced the shuttle oil, I used half TCH and half hy-tran. Field specs on the hy-tran from TSC were almost identical. Talked to a couple of old mechanics at the CASE shop in town and they advised this was ok.
I have read the owners manual and service manual for the 580B and the Case parts website for the 480B.

Any ideas or opinions on what could cause this symptom on the 480B? I don't see a screen or filter inside the torque tube on the Case parts site, so I am not sure what could be clogged. I've read some people have used diesel or paint thinner as a detergent in the power shuttle. I'm interested in trying this to see if it helps before draining the oil again and putting in new TCH only but I don't want to put more, new TCH oil into the unit until I get any remaining dirt or gunk out of the unit.
I have various serial #'s if that helps. Serial # on the frame is 5331306. Serial # on the engine is 2803230. In the shuttle/torque tube itself, there is a "A51800" in raised letters.

Thanks in Advance!

Tinkerer

I shamelessly copy and pasted this from another website for you. It should help you find the filter among other things.

"How many gears does the trans have? if it just has a 4 speed with a hi/lo lever giving it 8 speeds its a Case-O-Matic trans if it has just the 4 speed shifter it has the power shuttle trans, either of these transmissions will have a filter in front of the radiator, to access the filter remove the top cover held down with four 3/8" bolts, you should also have a pressure gauge on the dash showing trans clutch pressure, is it working? what does it show for pressure and as you are driving does the pressure drop when it won't move? As to a screen it has one yes but to get to it you have to remove the top cover. I can tell you this for sure they did not make a 480B in 1972, they made a 430CK from 1960-1966, 480CK from 1966-1971, 480B from 1971-1975 480C from 1976-1980. A tag should be on the tin work right of the key switch."

CARobo

Thanks Tinkerer! It has a 4 speed with the hi/lo lever. The original instrument cluster is gone. All it has is an after market voltmeter. coolant temp gauge, and oil pressure gauge now which all work but no clutch pressure gauge.

Here's a pic of the front of the radiator with grill removed. No filter or plumbing for one. I haven't removed the top cover above the radiator. I don't see any room for a filter there but I will check again. Second pic is the serial # on the frame with the model #. Would this be for the FEL? I will have to check it again for a tin tag to the right of the key switch. I just put in a new key switch to replace a push button start and don't recall seeing one. It might be on the side of the dash. The previous serial # 5331306 that I listed in the first post is actually on the backhoe.

The last pic is from the case parts store showing a diagram of the torque tube. Today, I removed the cover to the left of the red arrow. It looks like a coal mine in there! Also, there are open drain holes at the bottom so the front of the torque tube is clearly intended to be dry. The drain holes are blocked by dirt/grease/oil. The combination of dirt and oil leaks over the year has it pretty gunked up but I don't know if it's useful to try to clean this section.
I can remove the top cover pretty easily. I guess that will be the next step along with checking for the tin tag on right side of dash.
On the Case parts sight for the 480b, I can confirm that the eight speed shuttle control cover is identical to what I have.
I saved the original oil that came out of the shuttle since it was clear. It's clear but brown and thick. It doesn't look or feel anything like TCH or Hy-Tran oil.

Attachments

• grill removed.jpg
    grill removed.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 52
  • serial #.jpg
    serial #.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 50
  • torque tube diagram from case parts store.png
    torque tube diagram from case parts store.png
    275.7 KB · Views: 53

CARobo

The original oil that came out of the shuttle looks like bar oil for chainsaws. I'm starting to wonder if TCH is incorrect for this setup. I will look for a 480b owners manual. Couldn't find one online before so I settled for the 580b version.

CARobo

Thanks! There is a tin tag right side of dash. It was covered by a hydraulic hose. Model of tractor is 480BCK. Serial number is 8785955.
I guess I have a new project to work on. I bought the shuttle filter before finding there wasn't one. I'll call the case shop to confirm there should be one on there. Would you happen to know if the ck models also use TCH in the shuttle? Likely so since 580 bck does.

580bob

you will never find a power shuttle in a 480B as they were all dry clutch machines that's why no filter or piping you will have to split machine and do a clutch thats why it is slipping basically a agricultural trans

CARobo

Thanks 580bob and Tinkerer! This makes sense with what I can see on this tractor. Not looking forward to this project. :eek: I've changed clutches in vehicles but not a backhoe.

Tinkerer

I see a hydraulic pump in your photo Carobo. I just never saw one without a filter canister next to it.
And it does have a shuttle. It is a mechanical shuttle.
Check the clutch pedal for free play. There is an outside chance the linkage isn't allowing full engagement of the clutch.

CARobo

The coal mine that I referred to in the torque tube is the dry clutch area. I did what I could to clean that out which was very limited. worried that the oily grime got onto the surface of the clutch discs. I did put in the wrong fluid into the shuttle. On a 480b, the shuttle takes 85W140 which is the same as the transaxle. Explains why the original fluid was thicker. Luckily it wasn't all TCH fluid that went to waste.

Just finished checking the linkage. With the hand cover removed, I can see the throwout bearing pushing into the pressure plate when pushing the clutch by hand. It seems fine, but I'll see if I can adjust it.

Made a call to the local CASE shop to get an estimate on replacing the clutch, etc since it's not as simple as doing one in an automobile.

CARobo

$3400 was the estimate from the CASE shop in town for labor and 800 for parts. OUCH! I can buy the parts online for about $400. I need to research what's involved with splitting a backhoe before making a decision. I'm also concerned about the rear main seal on the engine based on how oily the compartment that houses the dry clutch was. The oil level has been consistent on the engine, no major leaks that I can see however I won't know until I tear into it.

Last edited:

DavidCase

What was the end result? I currently have the same issue with my 480bck. I’ve done all the heavy work I needed to do with it so not sure it will be worth me fixing it.

Tinkerer

CARobo hasn't logged in since July of 2018.
Unfortunately some members get all the help they need to repair a piece of equipment and never post back the results of the project.
Doing that certainly doesn't help anyone like you with the same problem and is seeking help.
David; If your machine is in decent shape and you can do the work required to fix it, it may be best to repair it.
I would rather do that as opposed to buying another machine that may develop similar expensive to repair problems.