• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

48 Hours with a Volvo L110G

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hello fellow HEF members,

Thought I would share my opinion/s after a 48 hour demo/eval of a brand new Volvo L110G. First, I have to say it was a VERY impressive Wheel Loader. On the project we are currently working we have a John Deere 624J, Komatsu 320-6 and CAT 938G the 'matsu being brand new. I am aware that the L110G is more comparative with 644K, 380-7 and 938K Loaders respectively nonetheless I did conduct a very thorough field test and evaluation.

For starters, no matter how hard I worked the 110G in a 10 hour shift I couldn't consume more than 22 gallons of diesel and that got the attention of our Fuel/Lube Truck Driver who swore the 110G would be an extremely thirsty machine.

A truly favorite feature/option of mine was the Boom Suspension System, once engaged the "all too familiar" bucking of a loader flat disappeared. We're doing pipe work and the jobsite layout has us stockpiling 57 stone and clean fill about a 1/4 mile from our trenches. I can't tell you in words how much more rock or fill actually makes it to the trench in comparison to the other loaders, not a drop is spilled and being able to transport at nearly 16mph without being beaten to death is awesome.

The APS controlled Transmission is also very impressive once set to match underfoot conditions, in this case I had it set at "M" for medium and the upshifting/downshifting didn't miss a beat. Where the other loaders would slip and spin the 110G just kept going. Again, this is pipe work and there's quite a lot of water and mud underfoot so every opportunity for wheel slippage has been provided.

Yet another favorite feature is the rearview camera, it actually works and works well even in low/no light conditions although with the rear work lights on there is unwanted glare where a simple switching off of the lights remedies that situation.

While we're on the topic of lighting this brings to mind an equally important matter, that being visibility and I'm talking with forks. Our other loaders are lacking in this regard with the Deere 624J being the worst, visibility with the Deere is utterly horrendous and usually requires a man on the ground to lift or off-load pallets. We use wide carriage/frame, long tine construction forks and so the L110G came with such forks. The Volvo TP Linkage has no comparison in the industry IMHO, to the fork tip visibilty is outstanding and never requires a man on the ground for assistance. We are constantly moving "things" or off-loading trucks and not needing two people to do so is money in the pocket.

Now for power, the L110G has got it in droves, we conducted some “feats of strength” tests with all four loaders and the 110G clearly came out the winner. When doing backfill operations you simply drop the bucket and mash the accelerator pedal and it WILL move any pile straight to the trench without needing to lift the bucket to lessen the load. All the other loaders will just tire spin and dig potholes unless you raise and curl the bucket.

More on power and lifting ability, we have some massive trench boxes/mules onsite which once assembled are usually moved about with our excavators (CAT 336E, Komatsu PC400) if you want to fork one with the Deere, ‘matsu or CAT loaders you will be looking at the ground in short order. Whereas the L110G just picks ‘em up and moves ‘em without any hesitation.

One more on lifting ability, the site we’re working is an old borrow pit having been partially filled with rubble of all sorts and there are some old concrete power poles left weighing about 22,000lbs each. First came the 320-6 which couldn’t even budge the pole, next the 938G which made the pole wiggle. Along came the 624J which could lift the pole nearly 6” before rear-standing to the sky. Lastly, the 110G where I was shocked at first because it too went ass-end up before I realized I was forking two poles, I backed the forks out to grab just one pole and began lifting. Not even did I straighten out the rear tires and to full boom height that pole went, I felt totally confident that the Volvo could have easily driven that pole around the jobsite fully raised with ease.

Now for the basics, to service or fluid check one presses a button and the engine cover raises making everything readily available on the left side. The Zerk fittings were very well placed and made life for our Fuel/Lube Guy much easier. The fact that the rear trunion needs no greasing is a welcome feature too. This is an Interim Tier IV machine and there are some points of clarification in order, you do not simply shut’er down to talk to someone, you have to let the turbo cool down for at least two minutes or it WILL remind you and it comes with a “black box” so you can’t lie about not doing so. Also, it required a regeneration everyday but doing so had ZERO negative consequences she ran as normal with no degradation in performance.

Oh yeah the seat, in this instance and ISRI Air Suspension version with nearly every possible adjustment and man let me tell you, what a difference it makes at the end of the day. I do have two complaints about the machine provided for demo, one being the right side Long Arm Mirror which is utterly useless more akin to an appendage just asking to be ripped off. Two, the lack of rear cab mounted work lights it came with just the two in the engine cover. We do start work when it’s dark and end the same, adequate lighting “all around” is imperative.

Well, that’s it, all-in-all an extremely impressive Wheel Loader for Pipe Work even at $380,000 it would seem a bargain. Hopefully I’ll be seeing one soon with our company graphics on it, until then it’s the Deere 624J.

The End

Last edited:

Turbo21835

That 110 is at least 5,000 lbs heavier than the deere, and closer to 10,000 lbs heavier than the others. That is based on the F series Volvo, not sure on the weight of a G series machine. I would hope it can out lift and out perform the others. It is more in line with a cat 950 sized loader. That being said, I have run Volvo loaders and have a soft spot for them. I ran one equipped with a 5 yard sand bucket chasing a pipe crew, and 21mph in the dirt was not out of the question. A real help when you are chasing a large site with stockpiles a long distance away. The other 110 I ran was equipped with a pemberton demolition bucket. It would run circles around the cat 950 on site.

The boom suspension was great, when it worked, hopefully they have updated over the past two series. The Volvos only had a few downsides that I didnt care for. They were equipped with joystick controls, which I dont care for. The seat mounted on the steel plate hung off the back wall of the loader didnt seem like it would hold up to the test of time, or big boned operators.

As for the emissions and black box. This tier 4 garbage that I have been around now seems like its going to kill equipment performance. Hopefully your report on the regen not effecting performance is the way it will stay. The black box records everything you do, not just shut down, so hopefully you follow all the "rules" to a T. I think Volvo loaders are truely Cadillacs imo and have found them hard to beat when it comes to speed and finesse.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hey Turbo,

You are correct about the L110G being equivalent to the CAT 950K but, with Power Package option only, that was my bad the 938K is equivalent to the Volvo L90G. In 27 years and having operated virtually all type and make loaders I have to agree but go one step further, Volvo Wheel Loaders are the Rolls Royce's of loaders not mere Cadillac's. About that 21 mph in the dirt, surely she'll do it but should I attract the attention of our "safety" man it won't be me operating any longer. This 110 had fingertip controls which like you I also prefer, much more control when grading. As for the seat mounting plate, I can't see nor did I experience any flexing issues, honestly it's pretty robust. As for the interim tier 4 system, Volvo developed theirs where most manufacturers have outsourced their "own" designs and it worked flawlessly, not so much as an indication other than the orange thermometer lit up on the dash while in operation. I have heard others say it does affect performance, having just demo'd one I can safely say "they" are full of the round brown. I am very aware that most if not all new machines have "black boxes" which monitor EVERYTHING! That said, I think for those of us who are Professional Operators it helps us explain problems to the Mech/Tech's who work on them. For those who would like to think they're Operators though moreso Cowboys, it provides the "proof" for warranted and rightfull employment termination.

Last edited:

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Just an add on to my 48 hour field evaluation of the Volvo L110G Wheel Loader.

Not really a complaint rather three options that would go a long way towards making the job of a Pipe Crew Loader Operator much easier. One, as far as I am aware (surely. someone will correct me if I'm misinformed) Volvo is the only manufacturer that offers a hydraulically adjustable fork option, not only tine spacing but side-shifting as well. It does require 3rd and 4th valve should it be equipped with side-shift. If you've ever had to dismount and adjust long tine forks on a large carriage/frame that needed some grease then you know exactly what I'm talking about, they DO NOT move willingly. True enough there are things onsite that can help such as large structures, containers, rock boxes/skids or trench boxes/mules etc. but it would be much easier and less time consuming to adjust them in-cab.

The second, there's a company another HEF member recently informed me about known in Europe as OilQuick and they make the slickest quick coupler I have ever laid eyes on, if you have hydraulic forks you more than likely have to dismount to connect the hoses, not so if you've got an OilQuick Coupler, it does it for you. Absolutely amazing and enough said on that.

The third and last, AUTOLUBE! Volvo offers it as an option and why US manufacturers haven't jumped on this bandwagon still alludes me. I timed our Fuel/Lube Truck Driver when he would grease the 110 and his best time was 10 minutes, and that's using the truck's system which we all don't have access to. With a manual grease gun it would probable take 20 minutes at best. On a jobsite with multiple machines that can add up. In my experience most folks over grease their machines and in time that just turns into an absolute mess which does nothing more than attract dirt, dust and so on which generally defeats the purpose of greasing to begin with. With an Autolube system, the proper amount of grease is distributed when it's required and is done so all day long. All that Fuel/Lube Truck Driver has to do is refill the canister which can be done automatically while fueling.