• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

455g runs fine for about an hour then dies

Aaron33

Occupation
Electrician
Finally to my loader out and used it clearing for about an hour then it suddenly died, bled the fuel system and finally got it to crank after about an hour of messing with it, ran fine for another hour then died again, rebled system and it fired up, so far I've checked the rubber line from tank to fuel pump and can't see anything wrong with it. I'm also replacing the screen in the bottom of the tank to see if that solves the issue, anybody have any other ideas? Or had the same problem?

Delmer

Did you get air out of the bleeders? Do you have a drain valve in the bottom of the tank? Water separator? What's the fuel level?

Sounds mostly like a collapsing screen or internally collapsing hose. Usually a slowly starving engine will surge as it runs out of fuel. What does your tank screen look like? you should be able to clean it, if it's been folded flat then you can put a spring inside it to help it keep from collapsing.

Aaron33

Occupation
Electrician
I drained the tank and the bowl on the bottom of tank, screen in bottom of tank broke while trying to get it out so I'm not sure what it looks like cause it's still in the tank at the moment and the fuel level was about about 1/4 tank

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was there any kind of suction on the tank when popped cap? Any wisp of air when cracked free? Could be the vent has simply choked up and it runs until gets to a negative fuel supply pressure.

Aaron33

Occupation
Electrician
The cap is brand new and the vent isn't stopped up, I also left the cap pretty loose on the threads and ran it it but had the same problem.

Aaron33

Occupation
Electrician
I'm hoping the screen on the bottom of the tank is the issue cause there was some stuff lying in the bottom of the tank after I drained it, also while draining it I figured it would be just pouring out but it seemed restricted, while it was coming out I could take a small screw driver and gently move it around and it would change how the fuel flowed out

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Get the screen out, mean time pull the flexible sections of fuel lines, if they have had much additive or even a hint of Bio roll thru them they may be internally swelling or blistering. Good you checked the simplest faults and eliminated first, some don't.

Delmer

What does the inside of the tank look like? If it's gunky, I'd pressure wash it. If there's just a little junk floating but the sides and bottom look clean, then use the "suck bucket" to clean the big stuff, then rinse with diesel until it's clean, don't need new diesel, let the old stuff settle between flushings.

Without the screen in place it could be a single insect in there that stops your fuel flow. Or it could be the screen was sucked flat by goop and then broke off when you tried to get the flat screen through the round hole.

Aaron33

Occupation
Electrician
Tank has a few rust places on the bottom and some stuff laying around the hole for the screen, I'm gonna clean it this weekend and inot all the new screen, I'll let you know I'd it fixes the problem, I appreciate the help!

td25c

Had a similar episode with one of our truck cranes last summer . Would run fine for awhile then all the sudden it would shut down . Let it set for a few minutes then it would fire up & go again .

Limped it the rest of the way home like that . Drained fuel tank & power washed it out , replaced 20 foot suction hose that was brittle & stiff as a board , new fuel filters and we were back to the races . :)
Suspect the culprit was the old suction line coming apart inside itself or a flake of rust .

Aaron33

Occupation
Electrician
Problem is solved now, I took the strainer out of the bottom of the tank put a 3/8 to 1/4 npt 90 degree fitting in the bottom of the tank, then ordered a inline fuel filter that had female 1/4 npt threads, screwed that to the 90 fitting then my new fuel line into the other side, runs fine with no issues now and the new filter and 90 look factory when you take the cover off