• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

450J final drive seal

Canadian_digger

IMG_2921.JPG Just wondering how hard and big of a job it is to change the seal on my John Deere 450J Dozer. Any special tools required. The Dozer spent the weekend on my float and I discovered a fairly large spot of gear oil. It's leaking quite a bit.

Dave Neubert

Looks like you would have to pull the whole unit off in order to get 32-33 off to remove axle. unless there is a access hole in the frame to get cover 30 off then split the case and make sure your bearings are good, I would just replace them if it was me

Vetech63

It should come off by just removing the outer casing bolts. Come on Digger, break that thing down. We need some excitement around here!;)

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
You have to remove the final drive from machine to get the halves to split. The nut on the axle goes through both halves. The one on my 650H looked pretty similar to yours. I was told you need a few special tools to set the bearings on axle. I took mine to local JD dealer to have seals and bearings replaced. Around $1800 to fix it. I removed the complete final drive and installed it my self. you have to remove track frame to get final drive off of machine. At least I had to on my 650H. yours may be different.

happygolucky

Starting to think this repair may be a little more work than I want to tackle.
if it were mine I would jack it up and make sure the sprocket is good and tight. seal most likely just started to leak with age but if you have a bad bearing you will cause a lot more damage if you don't fix it now. if your sprocket is still good and tight then add a thicker oil to it to slow the leak up. a lot depends on how much you use it. manual would really be nice to have for it.

OldMachinist

Pardon the obvious newbie question. Under my JD 450H and looking to change the engine oil. There is an access hole in the belly oil pan cover that seems like I can drain the oil through. There are two "drain" bolts in the back end of the engine oil pan. One sticks straight down from the oil pan and the other sticks straight out the back of the pan a few inches from the vertical one. Which is the engine oil drain plug? What is the other one for?