• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

450g dozer angle cylinder issues

Rita

We are repacking the angle cylinder on a john deere 450g dozer. We are having issues with the seal that goes on the outside of the gland. Is there a special tool to get this seal in the groove on the gland? Or are we missing something?
We ordered a new gland a they sent 3 different sets of O rings and this is the only o-ring in the 3 sets that is close to fitting, but its still too wide.

Attachments

• 15537825158242746846592904980124.jpg
    15537825158242746846592904980124.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
That seal is the expander ring that goes beneath the seal on the piston, not on the rod guide. If you got your seals from the dealer you should have received two kits. A rod kit and a barrel kit. Oh, and welcome to HEF!

Rita

That seal is the expander ring that goes beneath the seal on the piston, not on the rod guide. If you got your seals from the dealer you should have received two kits. A rod kit and a barrel kit. Oh, and welcome to HEF!
Ok so what seal fits? Would it help of i added pictures of the seals we received? We have completely repacked the tilt cylinders, but cant figure out which seal fits the outside of this gland.. or maybe if someone has pictures of the proper seal in this gland that would help. The old gland broke months ago had worn out parts of a seal on the outside but at this point we have no clue what the seal even looks like for the outside. And ws received 2 seal kits for the inside cause the dealer accidently sent the wrong one. And one for the outside.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
450G Angle Bore Kit.png

#1 along with #2 or 3 (hard to tell which from picture) will go into the groove on the outside of the rod guide.
#4 goes on the piston with #5 over top of it. Stretch #5 with your hands until you can get it on the piston.
#'s 6 & 7 go on either side of #5 with the radius towards #5 and the sharp edges away from #5 (see top left graphic in attachment). Then use a piston ring compressor (can get from any auto parts store) to compress #5 back to original size (about 20 minutes will do).
#8 into the shallow wide groove on the piston.
In the end you will be left with some extra parts. It is normal to have parts left over with Deere since their kits fit multiple applications. The orange split ring that is not numbered is a filler ring for disassembly of the cylinder.

Please supply a serial number and track configuration (standard, long track or LGP) and then we can iron out your rod guide seals.

Attachments

• 450G Top Left Graphic.pdf
    651 KB · Views: 10

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If the part number of the rod guide you received (should have anyway) is H157171 then the bore kit you should have according to your serial number and the rod guide number I mentioned should be AH149194. The package in your picture says AH212089 which would be incorrect for the new rod guide. Then parts just like #1 and #2 or #1 and #3 fit into that groove.

Rita

If the part number of the rod guide you received (should have anyway) is H157171 then the bore kit you should have according to your serial number and the rod guide number I mentioned should be AH149194. The package in your picture says AH212089 which would be incorrect for the new rod guide. Then parts just like #1 and #2 or #1 and #3 fit into that groove.

I checked the invoice the rod guide number is H157171.
#2 &3 are the idwntical seals. Does it matter which side #1 is on? i noticed today the new rod guide is not identical to the old rod guide. I will post pictures of the differences. And i am not sure if it is a big deal, but thought i might as well as since i am here. (The new one is beveled inside of the end, and the old one is not)

By the way, i really appreciate all your help. Thank you

Attachments

• 20190329_210550.jpg
    20190329_210550.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 7

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Correction, the AH149194 subs to AHC13485 which I see you have. The AH212089 is a barrel kit, not a rod kit like I mentioned in my last post and it is the correct barrel kit.

To answer you question, #1 (previous picture) goes on the thread side of the groove. The o-ring away from the threads (closer to the oil).

The taper in the guide does not matter. It is the correct guide. I think the seals in your pictures got a little mixed up. You will most likely be adding the seal #1 or #4 in the top picture (sorry I don't remember which is the newer) to the new guide so there will be two seals inside the guide. The seal will be in the groove closest to the oil and installed with the white/grey back up ring towards the thread side with the blue seal on the oil side. Look at the PDF attachment and drawing #1. Your seal arrangement on the "inside" of the guide will be the same (could not find drawing for your new guide).

A photo of the grooves inside and the top of the guide might help. Obviously it hard to tell from pictures but the seals and wear ring that best fit in the grooves (thickness wise) will be the ones needed. I think the seal #2 should be 0.287" thick (thinner of the two) for your new guide??

The dust seal (with the green in the top photo and #1 in the bottom photo) are installed with #4 (install tool and it is marked which side to use by seal color) in the bottom photo. Only one will fit your guide so it will be obvious.

450G rod guide kit 2.png 450G rod guide kit.png

Attachments

• Seal placement.pdf
    292.3 KB · Views: 3

Rita

Thank you so very much. It is very possible some seals got mixed up. Not i think we can get it all put together. Thank you so very much. Will update when we get it together.

Rita

I wanted to say thank you so very much for all the assistance woth the cylinder packing issue. We ended up repacking both our angle cylinders, and the second one was so much easier thanks to all you help
Again, we just wanted you to know how much we appreciate your assistance.
Correction, the AH149194 subs to AHC13485 which I see you have. The AH212089 is a barrel kit, not a rod kit like I mentioned in my last post and it is the correct barrel kit.

To answer you question, #1 (previous picture) goes on the thread side of the groove. The o-ring away from the threads (closer to the oil).

The taper in the guide does not matter. It is the correct guide. I think the seals in your pictures got a little mixed up. You will most likely be adding the seal #1 or #4 in the top picture (sorry I don't remember which is the newer) to the new guide so there will be two seals inside the guide. The seal will be in the groove closest to the oil and installed with the white/grey back up ring towards the thread side with the blue seal on the oil side. Look at the PDF attachment and drawing #1. Your seal arrangement on the "inside" of the guide will be the same (could not find drawing for your new guide).

A photo of the grooves inside and the top of the guide might help. Obviously it hard to tell from pictures but the seals and wear ring that best fit in the grooves (thickness wise) will be the ones needed. I think the seal #2 should be 0.287" thick (thinner of the two) for your new guide??

The dust seal (with the green in the top photo and #1 in the bottom photo) are installed with #4 (install tool and it is marked which side to use by seal color) in the bottom photo. Only one will fit your guide so it will be obvious.

View attachment 194586 View attachment 194587

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
You are quite welcome Rita. Glad to hear it is back together and thanks for the update. Happy bulldozing:)