• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

450c First piece of equipment

skyryder55

Good evening folks. I'm the new owner of a 1983 John Deere 450C. 4500 hours.

I bought the unit out of edmonton and I'm having it shipped home as I write this. Unit was inspected by a local heavy duty mechanic and he gave it a clean bill of health.

Wondering what specifics I should be looking for, maintenance wise that are easily missed with an inspection and are prone to be a problem.

Also wondering what engine oil to run for winter and summer use. As well as hydraulic oil recommendation.

Does everyone run same oil between drive units and transmission?

Also wondering on alternator upgrade as I'm planning to run some better lighting and even closing in the cab and running a heater.

Welder Dave

There's probably a lot of info if you use the search function on the forum. It's the magnifying glass in the upper right corner. Just put John Deere 450C in the subject line. I seem to recall you need to check the bolts are tight that connect the track frames together or to machine at the back. Might be some things to check with the trans. too. Congrats on your new loader.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
Would strongly suggest you get an operator's, parts and maintenance manuals. Look on Ebay.
Do you have the backhoe attachment, rippers or other attachments?

Congrats and welcome to the fold.