• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

420 e hydraulic locked out

mega

we have a 420e with hydraulic lock out stuck on the machine was working when the rear hydraulic stoped working like the switch was turned on got it to work long enough to get the outrigers up a bit to move it now its in the back yard with 1 outrigger almost on the ground and the boom half way out and off to one side and nothing will work on the back controls like the lock out is on checked fuses and relays all seem good any ideas ??

Bob/Ont

I think you need to replace the solinoid valve, had that happen once. The one I changed was back on the rear axle.
Later Bob

mega

thanks bob i was thinking that what ever the lock out switch/switched was the problem but did not know where to look will check it out tomorrow thanks loads kcco

Deon

we have a 420e with hydraulic lock out stuck on the machine was working when the rear hydraulic stoped working like the switch was turned on got it to work long enough to get the outrigers up a bit to move it now its in the back yard with 1 outrigger almost on the ground and the boom half way out and off to one side and nothing will work on the back controls like the lock out is on checked fuses and relays all seem good any ideas ??
.s are nice.

mega

.s are nice.

.s are nice.
Pardon me if i offended you......... I did not realize that grammar and punctuation are important to all members on this site ......... As well i will apologize 4 my spelling as i do not expect 2 be graded on my posts.......But if you feel it is important i will endeavour to use proper procedure in the future.......At the time of my first post i was more concerned about not looking like an idiot in front of my customer than looking like an idiot to the punctuation police on this site........I thank you for your time and i hope you find somthing better to do with time than critize others who may or may not be as educated as you......KCCO

Dickjr.

I live in Kentucky where we eat samiches n stuff. I understood your post without the ......... Don't sweat it and is it fixed, thats most important....... Have a good day.......... hey if you hold it it does this ............... or ...............................

mega

Hey Bob ..... Just got in machine is all better thanks to you and some help from the local cat dealer...... It was the solenoid ..... A few hours work and $100 part and we are up and running again ...... Thanks again..... KCCO As well dickjr you rock .........................................................................................................................................................................

Fixer

Aloha! I’m new here, so I hope I am able to post on an old thread and still get a response? If not, I’ll create a new post if needed.

We are having a similar issue with our 420E, as none of our rear hydraulics are working, but the front loader bucket still works. We replaced the rear control lockout switch, but that made no difference, so we were thinking it might be this solenoid issue? Is this same as the “valve body” where all the lines connect to? I apologize if I’m not using the right terminology, but I think my punctuations are on point? (Ha!)

I’ve attached two photos, the first is the solenoid/valve body, we just changed the four outrigger lines that connect to the left controller, because a couple of them blew after we rebuilt the cylinders. That’s when we noticed the creep on the extendahoe, and were able to retract it just once, then none of the rear hydraulics worked. So, we were thinking it’s either the controllers, or the solenoid?

Your guidance and assistance is greatly appreciated. Mahalo!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Not too many clues from the thread above unfortunately. Unfortunately Bob/Ont has passed on since then so we can't ask him.
I think he may have been referring to the "Implement Lockout Solenoid". This may help. Do you have power on the arrowed solenoid when the control lockout switch is in the ON position.? If you do then it is highly likely that the solenoid valve has failed. To get the correct Part Number for a replacement with any degree of certainty will require the machine Serial Number.

upload_2022-8-15_9-40-58.png

Fixer

Hi Nige, sorry to hear that he has passed on; my condolences.

As for our issue, I’ll check if it’s getting power and get back to you on that. Thank you for the help.

Fixer

Not too many clues from the thread above unfortunately. Unfortunately Bob/Ont has passed on since then so we can't ask him.
I think he may have been referring to the "Implement Lockout Solenoid". This may help. Do you have power on the arrowed solenoid when the control lockout switch is in the ON position.? If you do then it is highly likely that the solenoid valve has failed. To get the correct Part Number for a replacement with any degree of certainty will require the machine Serial Number.

View attachment 266010
Hi Nige, there is no power to the solenoid, and the only thing on the backhoe controls that works is the horn. The serial number is HLS06165.

Fixer

Hey Bob ..... Just got in machine is all better thanks to you and some help from the local cat dealer...... It was the solenoid ..... A few hours work and $100 part and we are up and running again ...... Thanks again..... KCCO As well dickjr you rock .........................................................................................................................................................................
Hi Mega, could you tell me if the solenoid you replaced is the one Nige attached on his last post? Thanks in advance for the help!

Fixer

Thanks HeyMcCall; I can't make out the even pages on your attachment, not that it would help anyway, as I am completely lost.... I do have an electrical schematic, but where do I even start? :eek:

Nige, I ordered the solenoid you mentioned, as well as the output one recommended by my parts person. I forgot to write down the part numbers, as they're different from the attached, but I ordered #1 and #13. But we'll try tracing the electrical first... o_O

Thank you both!

Attachments

• RENR6481RENR6481-07_SIS.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 2023-06-20.png
    2023-06-20.png
    309.3 KB · Views: 12

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nige, I ordered the solenoid you mentioned, as well as the output one recommended by my parts person. I forgot to write down the part numbers, as they're different from the attached, but I ordered #1 and #13.
Both #1 & 13 are assemblies. If you ordered both of them complete you would probably have had a heart attack at the price.

Somewhere else in your Parts Manual will be an illustration of each one of them with all the separate parts of it broken down to an individual part level. It is there that you will find the Part Numbers of the solenoids.

If you have difficulty following the schematic maybe hiring an auto electrician might be an option.?

EDIT: Maybe you can find the solenoid on the schematic and then follow the lines backwards to see where they come from.? The schematic is searchable so it should be possible to search for the solenoid Part Number, or even simply “solenoid”. You’ll find the right one eventually.

Last edited:

Fixer

Both #1 & 13 are assemblies. If you ordered both of them complete you would probably have had a heart attack at the price.

Somewhere else in your Parts Manual will be an illustration of each one of them with all the separate parts of it broken down to an individual part level. It is there that you will find the Part Numbers of the solenoids.

If you have difficulty following the schematic maybe hiring an auto electrician might be an option.?

EDIT: Maybe you can find the solenoid on the schematic and then follow the lines backwards to see where they come from.? The schematic is searchable so it should be possible to search for the solenoid Part Number, or even simply “solenoid”. You’ll find the right one eventually.
Yep, you’re right, I ordered just the solenoids. Great idea about the auto electrician, we’ll try tracing on our own first. Thank you again for your help :)