• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4 in 1 Bucket - Plumbing

cgraham1

I just bought a 4 in 1 backhoe bucket (it's 24" wide & made by Wain Roy). Just wondering what the best way is to add hydraulics for this?:beatsme
It goes on a Case 590 SL. Does case make a kit for this? Would it be the same as adding a thumb? Would you just use some sort of toggle switch or pedal to activate it?:beatsme Thanks

Goose

Yes it would be the same plumbing as for a thumb. You can add a circuit to run the thumb. The kits run about $2000.00- $2500.00 plus the labor or your time to install the kit. Or you can installe a diverter valve on the bucket or extendahoe circuit and have a switch on the controls to control the diverter valve. The diverter valves for the pressure and flow on this machine will run around $600.00. The only problem with the diverter setup is you cannot do both fuctions at the same time.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes it would be the same plumbing as for a thumb. You can add a circuit to run the thumb. The kits run about $2000.00- $2500.00 plus the labor or your time to install the kit. Or you can installe a diverter valve on the bucket or extendahoe circuit and have a switch on the controls to control the diverter valve. The diverter valves for the pressure and flow on this machine will run around $600.00. The only problem with the diverter setup is you cannot do both fuctions at the same time.

Hey Goose, just curious; do you happen to know how much pressure/flow is on the front bucket roll and extend-hoe circuits on these machines?

Goose

The front bucket pressure should be 3100psi and around 20 gpm is all you will get through the plumbing. The extendahoe will be 3100 psi and 30-35 gpm at the max. Are you trying to find a place to hook into to run an attachment or hand held tools?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The front bucket pressure should be 3100psi and around 20 gpm is all you will get through the plumbing. The extendahoe will be 3100 psi and 30-35 gpm at the max. Are you trying to find a place to hook into to run an attachment or hand held tools?

Actually, I drew up the schematics for a solenoid diverter valve and got with the engineers at Hydraforce and had them build one for me. We were wanting one for smaller tractors and loader hoes so a customer could mount attachments on them. The valve I had built is 12 gpm, 14 gpm max. I've also got a 40 gpm unit in the works, haven't built it yet. I was just curious what kind of pressure and flow was on the larger loader/hoes. Thanks for the info. :notworthy

cgraham1

You can install a diverter valve on the bucket or extendahoe circuit and have a switch on the controls to control the diverter valve. The diverter valves for the pressure and flow on this machine will run around $600.00. The only problem with the diverter setup is you cannot do both fuctions at the same time.
So what you're saying is you tee into another circuit and have a switch inside the machine to change back and forth between circuits? The previous owner actually installed a manual diverter in the bucket curl circuit so that he could run an auger, but it sounds like it might be better if it was in the Ex-Hoe circuit. If I could control the diverter valve from inside I could run the Ex-Hoe out, flip the switch, use the 4-in-1 bucket to pick something up, then flip the switch again and bring the Ex-Hoe back in? I was thinking of a completely seperate circuit so I could use all the functions at the same time, but I don't know if I can afford the $2000 for the kit!:eek:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
yep, that's pretty much what goose was saying cgraham. The diverter valve gives an affordable alternative to at least be able to operate accessory attachments.

cgraham1

Does anyone know what a 24" 4-in-1 bucket is worth, should I decide to do something different? I got the bucket (in very good condition) along with a wain roy quick change 18" bucket for $500 total. I told my wife it was a good deal! Sorry for all the questions! And thanks for the help.

Goose

$500.00 was a steal for just the 4-1 bucket. We put one on a machine a couple of months ago and it was about $3500.00

cgraham1

I figured a new one would be a couple thousand, at least! Figured I could sell the wain roy and come out even, but I wasn't figuring for hydraulic upgrades! I may just sell them both and get a mechanical thumb instead.