• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

.39:1 Ratio

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
How could a motor grader possibly have anything in common with an oil rig? :eek:

View attachment 95811
imagine that a motor grader with an oil rig. thought you might like to see one of the first examples of that on the slope, Rowen 41 if i remember correctly the first one on wheels on the slope no power just wheels. this rig also was the first to get moved with the derrick in the air, i had the dubious honor of the pull truck that time. not quite at sophisticated as the Doyon rig you are hooked up to but just as fun all same (sometimes far more exciting that anything has a right to be). by the way for those of you that haven,t figured it out yet the 16G is the steering wheel for this whole mess.
Finally got her going the right direction.jpgOpps trying to get her back on the road.jpg
by the way Randy that sidewalk grading box is about the slickest thing i have seen yet on a motor grader:notworthy:notworthy. i can think of a number of days in my youth i would have killed for that attachment while on the wrong end of a shovel/rake prepping for a sidewalk!!!!!!!

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
BigIron
Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing those. My Dad always told me the only limiting factor on what a grader could do was the mass between your ears.
Best Regards, Randy

JDOFMEMI

Randy

Once again, you have given a great explanation of how and why you do the work you do. I learn something from every post of yours. I have used welded on cutting edges for templates to cut grade, but never as slick of a piece as the sidewalk grader you had built. It looks like a great tool.

Thanks for the input. Too bad it seems the troll went away, he might have learned something if he opened his eyes and ears, and put his mouth in neutral.

Jim M

Occupation
Plant Operator
Excellent pictures Big Iron and Randy. That moldboard extension looks a very handy piece of equipment, and a inexpensive piece of rubber to stop you from rubbing the top of the curb was genius. Please keep the pic's coming as i'm learning new things every time i log on to the forum :).

Regards

Jim

Cat is ALL

What was your process for clearing and grubbing? Did you mulch it all down, or clear it and haul it out or some alternative method? Seems like it would have been a lot to clear/grub.

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
Mulching

What was your process for clearing and grubbing? Did you mulch it all down, or clear it and haul it out or some alternative method? Seems like it would have been a lot to clear/grub.

The project was cleared using mulching machines. One on a D6N….

Refueling 1109 2.JPG

The other was on a modified D5G frame…

SK200 Clearing.jpg

The material produced works great for topsoiling slopes, stays on the slopes better than straight topsoil during rain.

SK200 Clearing II.jpg

We hauled the clearing and grubbing material to two different slope flattening areas.
After the structural prism of the road was built with a 2:1 slope, the grubbing was then placed back up against the road slope, compacted, graded and hydro seeded.

Grading Slope Flattening.jpg

This guy looks to be having fun!:rolleyes:

Randy Having Fun.jpg

Regards, Randy

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
I wanted to bring a great thread back to life. When you come back around can you explain your choice in tires. Around here everyone runs the bar tread. Can you explain the different choices in tires for different conditions.

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Does anyone have any info on the mulching heads on the d5g and D6n. Are they a kit someone sells or semi custom set Up. around here t275 raycos are the normal. they would be more comparable to a steam shovel than the d6 or d5 as for operator comfort. Thanks

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I wanted to bring a great thread back to life. When you come back around can you explain your choice in tires. Around here everyone runs the bar tread. Can you explain the different choices in tires for different conditions.

Yup this thread has been reborn a couple of times. It is a great one though. I would like to hear Randy's thoughts on tires as well. I have mixed feelings between bias/radial tires but then again it depends on what you are doing. My biggest complaint in my career has been a lack of matching good quality tires.

hvy 1ton

Does anyone have any info on the mulching heads on the d5g and D6n. Are they a kit someone sells or semi custom set Up. around here t275 raycos are the normal. they would be more comparable to a steam shovel than the d6 or d5 as for operator comfort. Thanks

I think the D5 is a Supertrak (http://www.supertrak.com/) SK200TR doesn't look like they make dozer based models anymore.