• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

38b bucyrus dragline

mojo66

dies anyone know the spark plug size for a d13000 pony motor...this unit is real old..i belive its a marine...heads dont have the recessed holes for rubber groments with brass directors for cooling . the head gasket seals the water jackets alone...all i remember is they are fat plugs...any help would be great...thanks

pete2bc

Best I can remember they take a 7/8 deep socket to get them out The Cat part number is 2A3643 from an old Cat book I have here for a motor grader pony motor, I'm pretty sure it's the same. I know that probaly won't help you at your local part house.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Champion D-16? Was very common on old gas bangers.

Caterpillar pony motors to not like Champion plugs but you may have trouble finding an equal in another brand. Make sure you have solid wire spark plug wires on the pony. If you are new to pony motors make sure you shut the gas off and run them out of gas to kill the engine. Oil capacity is only about a quart and gas seeps in ruining the motor.

lantraxco

I think Autolite and NGK both make a substitute, probably want to avoid resistor plugs, had enough trouble making spark on little bangers of that vintage....

mojo66

found sp # w-4...bucyrus dragline looks like a 37b or 38b...trying to find out what year it is...tag has been removed...it has a rather strange looking d13000 in it..its for sure a marine..v cut outs on top of pistons for valves to clear...manufactured with no water ferals / directors...just head / gasket / deck....nothing else...brass water manifold from pony motor to main engine...no ring gear on poney motor...strickly hand crank only..and has 2 brass cup oilers on the swing clutches and one on the main clutch...how old is this thing?