• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

371 detroit powered sawmill

snowshoveler

Have been looking at a small circle sawmill.
Just a hobby type thing...yes i know im nuts.
However the engine makes me ask a few questions.
Its been sitting for a couple years and its not covered.
The exhaust has a good flapper on it and the air filter setup looks pretty good as well.
I did check to make sure that it wasnt stuck,and dosent appear to have water in the base.Didnt pull drain plug just checked oil level and it looked full and not milky.Should actually pull the plug to make sure i guess.
Not planning to start it until i have it home,could be awhile.
The biggest question i have is its appearance...it looks newer than other
371s that i have seen. Cast aluminum valve cover which i have never seen on an inline detroit (havent really seen that many).Did they make such an animal or was this engine just a collection of parts.
If i buy it and get it home i will be very carefull on the first startup,dont want the run away.
Thanks for now
Chris
hey how about that i managed to get a pic in.
thanks mods for making it easy

Attachments

• September 12, 2010 05.jpg
    September 12, 2010 05.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 956

Komatsu 150

Someone will know for sure but I kinda vaguely sorta remember them offering a cast cover to reduce oil leaks on the V engines and of course they would also fit on an inline.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, they put cast aluminum valve covers on them as well. If it's been sitting for many moons, I'd like to remove the valve cover and put a pair of vise grips on the fuel rack lever to make sure you can shut it down in case rack is sticky. Then remove the air intake at the roots blower and spray some WD40 in there, then remove the air box covers and spray some in the cylinders. Take a pipe wrench and grip that shaft coupling on output drive and roll it over by hand to let the WD40 work onto cylinder walls and blower lobes. When you feel like it's turning freely, hold the engine shutdown so engine won't start and crank the engine a few moments so it will build oil pressure and lube some parts. Then try and fire it off. Just a few thoughts. ;)

snowshoveler

thanks for the tips Atco.
Im thinking I will buy this setup,but wont get it home until spring.
I will store the engine a bit better than it is right now and cover her up nice.
cant see it in the pic but it does have a good sized muffler on it ,should keep the neighborhood happy ha ha .
Chris

Komatsu 150

thanks for the tips Atco.
Im thinking I will buy this setup,but wont get it home until spring.
I will store the engine a bit better than it is right now and cover her up nice.
cant see it in the pic but it does have a good sized muffler on it ,should keep the neighborhood happy ha ha .
Chris

Well it's a Detroit, A LOT of the noise comes from the intake. Even with a high tech muffler and intake it will always sound like one.

snowshoveler

total coincidence...
Today a fellow comes into work (im a small engine guy) and we get talking.
Turns out he is the Detroit rep for my area...you just know im going to do an extra special job on his chainsaw.
He said if i need anything he can help.
Have known him for a while but had no idea what he did for job.
kind of made my day.
Chris