• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

366 GM truck motor

Dualie

Theres a guy around here that has one with an 8.1L vortech swapped in from a wrecked 3/4 ton suburban seems to work really well. His main logic was to get around CARB smog rules with the diesels and have something that he can use to haul local that can set for weeks and still fire up and do work. Its no modern turbo diesel but it does work well. All and all i think hes got less than $5000 in it including the price of the barn stored immaculate truck.

Tim Salyer

I have a 1988 gmc c6000 366 motor 5 speed transmission. Wonder how hard and expensive to put an Allison automatic transmission in this old truck. It's an old uhaul truck and have not found a buyer and a stick won't work with my legs. Any ideas and thought appreciated.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
All the older GM's used the same bell housing pattern, all you will need is a trans flexplate and mounts to change it over, driveshaft shortening and a parking brake mod would end up next, Most of the later Uhauls had automatics.

dan braucher

Ive got a 1985 7000 with the 366. When i bought it it had a crate engine installed & was over carbed. I Installed a smaller 600 cfm holley & it helped the running a good bit. But something still wasnt right. Turns out the advance mechanisms in the distributor were frozen.....what a difference that made when repaired. Great strong truck, not fast, but strong.