• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

350C John Dere....weak in reverse!

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
350C John Deere....weak in reverse!

Had a buddy of mine call me the other night, hes using an older 350C JD crawler loader for cleaning some timber he has. Says its pushing good forward and working fine but reverse it won't hardly move...acting as if its slipping. I'm not familiar with this machine and haven not looked at it yet. Anything to check(besides the trans fluid, general items). I see on the spec sheet it list Direction Reverse...i'm guessing this is a gear drive forward with hyd reverse? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Trbo

Last edited:

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Maybe an old deere tech will speak up, but its my belief that your problem lies in the h-l-r clutch adjustments. Here is what I know from my 450c, the hlr can be adjusted for how it behaves, I don't have the knowledge to do it. I do know that if its on a steep grade and the tranny is a little low, the cluch packs loose oil pressure an you go into neutral, and remain there until pressure is applied... Oh, and its a power shuttle, not a power shift...

d9gdon

Be sure to check the linkage to make sure it's adjusted right and the pins are not sloppy which won't allow it to go into gear.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Thanks guys, Stump...he did say it was when backing out of a hole he had dug..so incline. Will pass along the information to him. He is a very mechanical minded person just unfamiliar with "yellow iron". I'll make sure he re checks all fluids, and linkages etc.

Thanks again.

Trbo

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
If I remember correctly the 350s had a straight direct drive transmission. Most of them had a reverser. I only ever saw one that didn't have a reverser. 350 trans was a different trans then the 450.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
talked to him today, says its pushing great as long as its cool oil. Run it too long and then its "slipping". Going to look on deere see what they have for a parts diagram online.

thanks again
Trbo