• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3306 Industrial engine serial number lookup and help please

jett01

hello . i am on the search for a engine for our D7H serial number 5BF 789 . I did find a engine for sale but would like to know for sure if it will fit my dozer .
serial number for this engine i found is 66D 50412 .
If anyone could please help that would be great as i am unsure what application this motor has done .
thanks ,
Jett

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Provided that your exisitng engine is original the S/N is 08Z50153, Arrangement 7C-2032 CHG05, built December 1988

66D50412 is Arrangement 7N-3387 CHG13, built March 1989.

Comparing the two engines they are totally different, pretty much the only thing they have in common is the crankshaft.

jett01

hello Nige thank you . i kinda figured you might be the first to respond and ! question . will this engine fit into my dozer ? i do have 2 wrecked engines that includes the old engine taken out so can i rob parts off the wrecks to make things work ? example oil pan and and sump pump if they are differant. i have not seen the engine just a couple photos . he claims it came out of a dozer . i will try post the link for you on Kijiji. thank you

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
he claims it came out of a dozer
Unless it has been substantially modified at some point to fit in a dozer I doubt it.
If it has been modified to fit in a dozer then there is no way of knowing how much it was changed from the way it was originally built in order to make it work. In other words it's a Franken-engine.

As I said the only thing in common between the engine in your dozer and the engine in that ad (as it was originally built) is the crankshaft.
go to kijiji and just search 3306 industrial it will take you right to the ad
So if the seller is advertising it as an industrial engine why is he saying it came out of a dozer.?

From the ad - "3306 industrial cat engine completely rebuilt by cat dealer 2 years ago never used . Ready to replace your old worn out engine". Any self-respecting Cat dealer would be embarrassed to turn an engine out in that condition. It's a POS, it's not not even painted FFS. TBH the best use for it in its present condition would be as a boat anchor.

From another ad on the same site. This is what I would expect a dealer-rebuilt engine to look like.........

1697835616412.png

My advice to you FWIW would be to take steps - f'kin big ones in the opposite direction.......

jett01

thank you Nige i am taking your advice and walking away from that .
cheers to you and to Heavy Equipment Forums ,friends in a lot of different places
Jett

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
That engine looks like something the seller grabbed from a scrap yard, just before it went to China.

Try Diesel Engine Trader instead, not quite so many scammy operators on there, the sellers usually operate engine repair and trading businesses.

There's a lot of truck and industrial engines on DET, obviously a lot pulled from parted-out highway vehicles, you will need to contact sellers on DET to see what is available by way of a tractor engine.

You MAY be able to utilise an on-highway engine to rebuild your D7H engine - but I stress, this is a big MAY.

Cat engines are built specifically for their designed task, Cat have 6 main designations - Industrial, Marine, Truck, Genset, Fire Pump, and Tractor.

Each engine is built up using specific components designed for that HP output, RPM range, type of engine loading, and whether weight is a concern. So highway engines have a lot of alloy components to keep weight down.

Each engine prefix number designates how it's built - what pistons, crank, rods, valves, turbo, injectors, and fuel pump/governor is used.
There can be a vast range of different internal components between two similar-looking Cat engines.

Welder Dave

Obviously the seller is trying to market the engine for any application. Not just a Cat dealer but any self respecting shop that rebuilt an engine out of the frame would at least have it cleaned up and in most cases painted. It doesn't even look like it got a good pressure wash. Where's the receipts from the so called Cat dealer? How much warranty is he giving? He may have a running engine but that's about it.

Welder Dave

Provided that your exisitng engine is original the S/N is 08Z50153, Arrangement 7C-2032 CHG05, built December 1988

66D50412 is Arrangement 7N-3387 CHG13, built March 1989.

Comparing the two engines they are totally different, pretty much the only thing they have in common is the crankshaft.
Can you tell what the engine was originally used in?

Old Magnet

Be aware that the Industrial Engines typically use a different front engine cover with a different water pump than what is used in vehicle applications. The arrangement is different to provide various auxiliary drive components such as additional hydraulic pumps, water pumps, air compressors etc.

NateGolas

Jan 2021 replaced 3306 in d7h with new motor 3306 from big bear engines Colorado ( cat transferred engine molds yo Shanghai diesel in late 1990’s- found out later) 2500 hours on engine now uses no oil good power. Came complete. Holes in torque converter drilled out 1 size mag drill. Changed secondary fuel filter to fleet guard. Would do again. Have spare industrial cat 3306 from reliable source in penn. and motor from d7h (rod through block) for $9000. 2042800688 nate ps every bolt identical on motors Chinese , old, and penn 3306!