• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

329EL Long Reach Boom Cylinder Head Pressure

Oxbow

Vin# PLW01511

1709138076358.jpeg
1709138192783.png
1709138256108.png

Voltage above normal:

Is this typically a sensor failure? What would be the correct way to diagnose, or would one start with replacing the sensor. I assume (and you know what happens when one assumes) that higher than normal voltage is not too likely to be a wiring problem?

Thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is this typically a sensor failure?
Not necessarily. Could just as easily be a wiring/connector fault.
What would be the correct way to diagnose
Use the attached troubleshooting procedure. If you want a complete electrical schematic please ask. But then again you have access, just download your own copy.

Attachments

• MID299 CID1969 FMI03.pdf
    104.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Oxbow

Not necessarily. Could just as easily be a wiring/connector fault.

Use the attached troubleshooting procedure. If you want a complete electrical schematic please ask. But then again you have access, just download your own copy.
Thank you Nige. Do you know if these troubleshooting procedures are available through the customer version of SIS? I am still pretty clumsy navigating SIS.
Many times when I see that code, it winds up being a wire that’s pulled out of the connector due to the wire breaking right at the deutsch socket.
Thanks Ahart. The machine is about 2 hours away at the moment so I'll have to wait to check this out until we get over there.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Do you know if these troubleshooting procedures are available through the customer version of SIS? I am still pretty clumsy navigating SIS.
Start from the SIS main page, put your Serial Number in the LH box and 1969 in the RH box then click search. After it shows you a million hits click the Troubleshooting option in the column on the left side of the page. That should narrow it down so you can find the procedure I attached above.

Oxbow

Well I may not know how to find it on SIS, but I tried out the SIS2GO app on my phone for the first time and went straight to the same document the Nige shared. I feel a little dumb for bothering you guys now, but thanks!

Oxbow

Start from the SIS main page, put your Serial Number in the LH box and 1969 in the RH box then click search. After it shows you a million hits click the Troubleshooting option in the column on the left side of the page. That should narrow it down so you can find the procedure I attached above.
Perfect! Thank you sir!

Oxbow

1709146585488.png
This is what I get. Perhaps my version (customer version) is not the same?

Oxbow

Same SIS for me. As far as I know it's limited to parts and limited schematics.
CM, I subscribed on the SIS2GO phone app for two machines, and it appears that I can get the troubleshooting guides that way, it would just be way easier to view them on the "big" screen and be able to print them out. I might be able to export out of the phone app but haven't tried yet.

The subscription price is per vin#, but it is reasonable @ about $150 per year, but it's dang frustrating to have paid millions to Cat over the years and not be granted full access to their support features. Nige is trying to help me to make sure I am navigating SIS correctly but I believe we just have customer level access.

I will say this though, I really like being able to go through SIS and order parts and have them waiting when we go to the dealer, or have them shipped here if we desire. Most of the parts folks at our dealership are pretty good, but I really like being able to see the breakdowns on SIS myself, especially when it comes to working on our old B model engines.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Oxbow funny you should mention SIS2GO as I just downloaded it to my phone today. Just last week they worked our Vision Link account out so we could see all our equip. that's responding.

So what does the $150 a year per machine open up?

The SIS we have available is very helpful none the less. Today I was able to track down and order a front window seal and lower door roller for our 321DL and order it online. I'll have to admit I have cussed SIS more than I have ever praised it but Cat has improved it over the last couple of months.

Oxbow

Oxbow funny you should mention SIS2GO as I just downloaded it to my phone today. Just last week they worked our Vision Link account out so we could see all our equip. that's responding.

So what does the $150 a year per machine open up?

The SIS we have available is very helpful none the less. Today I was able to track down and order a front window seal and lower door roller for our 321DL and order it online. I'll have to admit I have cussed SIS more than I have ever praised it but Cat has improved it over the last couple of months.
I'm still learning what is available, but here are some examples:

This screen lists all of our equipment. If you look to the right and see the little green credit card looking icon, that indicates that we have a subscription for that piece of equipment.
1709172469955.jpeg

So if I select the 329 for example, here is what I get:

1709172610336.jpeg

Then if I type in the fault code that we have (1969-3):

1709172709826.jpeg

Now if I open that up I get to the document that Nige shared initially:

1709172787576.jpeg

This should save us a bunch on our older equipment that is off warranty by being able to at least do some preliminary trouble shooting prior to having a field mechanic come out. And since we always seem to be working out in the middle of nowhere that can add up quickly.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Nice. That info is worth $150 a year. I'd like to have a subscription our D5G, 953C and 321DL.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Glad they found it.

Bought a connector kit from the Cat house a few years ago and although it was expensive it has saved the day a few times.