• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

328DLCR bucket to cab interference problems

heymccall

In finality to this, I had a standard drawing 42" bucket from TAG delivered in August, and, A) it cannot strike the cab, 2) it is of slightly larger capacity, and iii) it cleans out easier (little more taper to the sides).

I suppose the biggest frustration here was that Cat offers "shorter" buckets, but they aren't short enough, but the rest of the world, in their "catalogs", offer buckets that start out shorter. Why would Cat even bother with shorter buckets if they're only an inch or three shorter?

Oxbow

heymccall, I completely understand your frustration. I demo'ed a 328DLCR last week and as you say, one can certainly hit the cab with the bucket. It had the pin grabber quick coupler, 1.77 cy 48" bucket, and extended thumb to work with the quick coupler. I was very impressed with the machine, but;

(1) When transporting one had to curl the bucket all the way under and rest the boom on it. Any other configuration could allow settling and loose chains. When I loaded it there was already scratches on the boom from prior transport, and the Cat yard man said that that was the way their transport drivers hauled it.

(2) The thumb could hit the boom when not all the way retracted.

I understand the need for a quick coupler for many contractors, but I will be ordering one without the quick coupler for the following reasons aside from what I have already mentioned:

(1) The added 1200 lb.s and placeing the bucket weight another 15" further from the stick wreaks havoc on machine balance and productivity (unless ofcourse your application requires rapid bucket/implement changes).

(2) We specialize in stream restoration, and often work in and under water in freezing conditions (14 degrees below zero this morning). The hydraulic hoses that connect to the quick coupler will get broken as ice builds between the stick and the linkage, preventing the hoses to flex.

(3) The additional thumb length to accomodate the quick coupler will cause additional stress on the thumb and will require repair sooner than a shorter thumb.

(4) We also work in very confined spaces, and the risk of hitting the cab while looking in mirrors to clear trees or other obstacles is less than desirable.

Again, I am very impressed with the machine, but think that Cat should at least spec buckets for it that cannot hit the cab.

Hawkeye

Heymccall, Glad you found a suitable bucket, doesn't sound like your dealer was too concerned about this situation. I would find a new dealer. No one should sell a machine that will hit itself. To those who don't understand that, haven't run an excavator in the real world. To compare your bucket hitting the cab to hitting your counter weight is laughable. All machines and operators run perfect behind a key board.

skadill

Why Grab?

This style is standard up here.No extra pins to wear out,no change in bucket curling arc or power,still meshes with hydraulic thumb at all angles.Factory pin setting maintained,low profile.Pin grabbers are not highly spoken of here.Made by CWS Industries and Accurate Manufacturing in B.C. Canada

Attachments

• DSCN2928.jpg
    DSCN2928.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

d4c24a

Heymccall, Glad you found a suitable bucket, doesn't sound like your dealer was too concerned about this situation. I would find a new dealer. No one should sell a machine that will hit itself. To those who don't understand that, haven't run an excavator in the real world. To compare your bucket hitting the cab to hitting your counter weight is laughable. All machines and operators run perfect behind a key board.

so with most machines in the states fitted with thumbs , which many look like they could easily hit the cab do they not , is it the same with a coupler that only the incompetent operators will hit the cab , could you not trust yourself with a 3 or 4 piece demo boom ,or a takeuchi tb 80 fr that could take the cab off with a grading bucket on
have operated plenty on tight sites in the UK with no bother or keyboard in front of me

http://www.mascus.com/construction/...keuchi-takeuchi-tb-80-fr/images/cs3p9iig.html

heymccall

I'm back. Having bought 3 328dlcr excavators, and 3 42" TAG-MFG 230 frame buckets, I can safely say that no cabs were harmed during operation, but.....
Anyone know the bucket tip radius dimension for a 325FL?

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
How I miss the days when this was the closest thing to a key that you needed.
None of this fine grade load sensing electronic babysitting politically correct garbage that tries to make up for the lack of skill, common sense and that good ol' "bubble in your ass" that operators once mastered .

Oh.....hello..
Guess I'm back
:cool:
20180806_132247.jpg I