• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

314D Thumn

Jake Erickson

Occupation
Farmer
I recently purchased a 314D. Has a quick coupler, I want to tear out trees with it. Looking to add a thumb. Local cat dealer says $20,000. All of the hydraulics are there I just need the thumb and cylinder and they still want $20,000+. Anyone got a lead on one or even dimensions of one.

Thanks,

Jake

joe--h

A search returns lots of them, machinerytrader has some.

You have 5 months of snow coming so order some steel & get to work.

Joe H

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
He is from North Dakota...7 months of snow. Personally, I like the design of the PSM thumb if your going to fab your own. If your feeling sporty, I would make it a prolink thumb. Your going to need to match the length with the bucket you plan on using and make sure you get the spacing of the thumb teeth to fall between the bucket teeth. Its not quite as easy as it looks, there is a lot to consider. You would be best to find a 314 that has a thumb you like and copy it, exactly. You may have to shim to get the teeth intersection correctly, unless your bucket also matches the machine your copying. I bought a prolink thumb for my 160 and it was 10K installed. I would make some phone calls and get some prices. You might find a thumb that doesn't say CAT at a price that doesn't justify fabing one yourself.

Jake Erickson

Occupation
Farmer
He is from North Dakota...7 months of snow. Personally, I like the design of the PSM thumb if you’re going to fab your own. If you’re feeling sporty, I would make it a prolink thumb. You’re going to need to match the length with the bucket you plan on using and make sure you get the spacing of the thumb teeth to fall between the bucket teeth. It’s not quite as easy as it looks, there is a lot to consider. You would be best to find a 314 that has a thumb you like and copy it, exactly. You may have to shim to get the teeth intersection correctly, unless your bucket also matches the machine your copying. I bought a prolink thumb for my 160 and it was 10K installed. I would make some phone calls and get some prices. You might find a thumb that doesn't say CAT at a price that doesn't justify fabing one yourself.
Hey,

Thanks for the good input. I will do that.