• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3126 mechanical cat engine vs 3126 electronic engine . ?????????????????

Cat_man320

A friend of mine windowed the block in his cat loader. I think it's a 98 front end loader and has a 3126 mechanical engine . I have a 3126 electronic engine circa 2001. Can anyone tell me if the blocks are the same ? he wants to build a new engine from the block up . I don't want to give him a block only to find half way through the build that the blocks are different when he goes to install some of the accessories . So are they the same or different ?

Cmark

As always with Cat gear, quote some serial/arrangement numbers and the rest is (usually!) easy...

Cat_man320

Hi , Thanks for the reply . The 3126 mechanical that my friend owns has an arrangement# 135-6437 and serial number is 55K01302. I don't have the serial number of my electronic 3126 engine but the arraignment number is 8Yl39321. if you need the ser # of my 3126 I guess I can get it but might take me a day to do so .

Cmark

So your friend has an IT38G serial number 7BS00353. The number from your engine is actually 8YL39321 which is the serial number. Your arrangement number is 1781359.

And yes, it looks like your block is a later version of his block. From the info I have I can't see any reason why the swap-over shouldn't work.

Cat_man320

So Cmark , would my friend be able to use my crank and pistons , more or less the whole short block and install his own mechanical head and all his accessories like timing cover housings , turbo etc etc ? thanks for the great info .

Cmark

So Cmark , would my friend be able to use my crank and pistons , more or less the whole short block and install his own mechanical head and all his accessories like timing cover housings , turbo etc etc ? thanks for the great info .

Oh god. Now you're making things complicated! Crank, possibly. Pistons and rods, probably not. You'll have to give me more time on this one. Unless anyone else with access to SIS has a couple of hours to spare and wants to jump in in the meantime?

Cmark

You're in luck!

Crank is the same. Rods are the same.

Pistons and cooling jets are different.

Cat_man320

Thanks so much Cmark , the snow is almost gone here in Newfoundland and it's time to get the gear ready . Thanks again , Cheers.