• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3126 Cat shutting off at idle???

Cat_man320

Asking for a friend . He got a 3126 in a Chevy Topkick single axle dump truck . After the engine reaches operating temp , it will shut off and is hard to start . Wait 15 minutes and it will start again . It runs ok when running down the road. he has installed new injectors and tubes , changed the huey pump and lift pump. Oil pressure is low at idle when up to operating temp . I think he said 14psi at idle . he also changed oil pump. He is at a loss to know what the trouble is or where to turn to to fix it. Any of you guys that know 3126 cat engines can help this young lad. I'm thinking maybe rod bearings or main bearings. Any help would be great .

Cat_man320

Does it only die at idle, or will it die if left to run at higher rpm?
Not sure about that but he said if you come to a stop light or stop sign or let it idle for a few seconds , it will sputter and then shut off . it's ok when under load or driving down the highway . Starts first flick on coldest day . but won't start after idling, wait 15 minutes and it starts right up and go again . I think oil is getting too hot and thins out to the point that it can't put enough oil pressure to the Huei pump .