• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

310A John Deere Backhoe lost steering.

Bullseye Beaver F.

I was using this unit and it just lost the steering capability. Wheels went to right and that was that. Unhooked hydraulic line and getting fluid to it. It was a little dirty, so will be changing that. Steering wheel turns. Any idea where to start looking? I just recently purchased this machine.

Acecadet

Perhaps you could try removing the rod end hose off the steering cylinder and then start the machine and steer to the right. If hydraulic oil pours out of the rod end fitting on the cylinder, your piston seal is blown. That would explain why it turned all the way to the right and would not come back.

Bullseye Beaver F.

Yes, had fluid there in both lines going to the steering cylinder. When I turned the steering wheel oil came out both the hoses . Not sure on column shaft being broken with me getting fluid to cylinder.

Bullseye Beaver F.

Took the cylinder apart and the nut on the ram had completely come off. Threads were gone. That was the problem. Thanks again for all your help!

Bullseye Beaver F.

I have a manual for John Deere 310A - 310B Tractor, loader, backhoe. Technical and Parts. If anyone needs a copy of a page out of it I will share.