• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

30wt. HD ok?

charles walton

Having a hard time finding non detergent oil for my Cat 941b transmission and steering clutches. I was wondering if HD is ok in the transmission at least.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Hey Charles I get my oil though a farm co-op. To get free shipping if buy 55 gal at a time and it has to be from the same manufacturer. I would suggest going with a main manufacturer. I use Mobil in some places who probably have the best but $$$$. Any way in my transmissions I have Philips 66. Called P66 Power Drive 30W TO-4. You want a spec. TO-4 fluid, that's the Cat spec. It costs me $55 delivered. You won't be using a lot of fluid. Get the right thing TO-4 it's a good investment! Keep the system clean, use good filters like Cat. You probably have a magnet screen under the floor to the left the drivers seat probably. Take pictures if it looks bad. Pull it out and clean it. Then drive it hard, maybe even go Whole Hog and put a fan under the machine pointed at the drain cover once you have opened the access hatch for the drain plug. To cool it down, so you don’t burn the S**t out of yourself. Put some tape in the socket to hold the drain plug. Drain it out hot and mixed up. Let the plug drop in the pail if you have to. You are going to put serious $$$$ gallons into it so do it right if you can.
I think the Luck is on your side!

charles walton

Hey Charles I get my oil though a farm co-op. To get free shipping if buy 55 gal at a time and it has to be from the same manufacturer. I would suggest going with a main manufacturer. I use Mobil in some places who probably have the best but $$$$. Any way in my transmissions I have Philips 66. Called P66 Power Drive 30W TO-4. You want a spec. TO-4 fluid, that's the Cat spec. It costs me $55 delivered. You won't be using a lot of fluid. Get the right thing TO-4 it's a good investment! Keep the system clean, use good filters like Cat. You probably have a magnet screen under the floor to the left the drivers seat probably. Take pictures if it looks bad. Pull it out and clean it. Then drive it hard, maybe even go Whole Hog and put a fan under the machine pointed at the drain cover once you have opened the access hatch for the drain plug. To cool it down, so you don’t burn the S**t out of yourself. Put some tape in the socket to hold the drain plug. Drain it out hot and mixed up. Let the plug drop in the pail if you have to. You are going to put serious $$$$ gallons into it so do it right if you can.
I think the Luck is on your side!
I actually took the plug out Sunday after it had been sitting for 3 weeks and I let about a half gallon out and it looked and smelled like new. I really just want to top it off and change the filter for now because I won't be working it much until I get the roller frame tightened up and the leaky duocone seal fixed.... money is kinda tight and I might need bearings and a hub once I get in there.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Charles my machines are a hobby, I'm not rich or poor. But man I love the way they built these old machines and I'm impressed they still sell most of the parts. If you put it out by the road you'd meet new people. Work on it when you want there's no hurry. I'm 6 years into retirement and disabled and Yea I'm Loving It!!. Yea man they are great when you want to do something. You don't have to out bid the other guy. You run it or fix it on your time. Don't miss your retirement; it's some of the best years. Move to Quality oil in time. You may have good oil in there. I really don't trust what is being put out now anyway, without testing it. So maybe this transmission can maybe for whatever reason is still working? If that's Cat or Mobil oil in it save it if you want. The Dam stuff is $$$$$. You may have good oil in there. Till then Diesel 30W engine oil should be good. Let's not invest too much.
Charles You are The Man!
Live Life Big!

charles walton

Charles my machines are a hobby, I'm not rich or poor. But man I love the way they built these old machines and I'm impressed they still sell most of the parts. If you put it out by the road you'd meet new people. Work on it when you want there's no hurry. I'm 6 years into retirement and disabled and Yea I'm Loving It!!. Yea man they are great when you want to do something. You don't have to out bid the other guy. You run it or fix it on your time. Don't miss your retirement; it's some of the best years. Move to Quality oil in time. You may have good oil in there. I really don't trust what is being put out now anyway, without testing it. So maybe this transmission can maybe for whatever reason is still working? If that's Cat or Mobil oil in it save it if you want. The Dam stuff is $$$$$. You may have good oil in there. Till then Diesel 30W engine oil should be good. Let's not invest too much.
Charles You are The Man!
Live Life Big!
Thank you sir, I understand what you're saying. The fellow I got this tractor from is the type to put good oil in his equipment and I think I remember him saying that he had serviced the trans. not long before he quit running it. I was afraid it would have water in it because it sat for so long but there was no water on the bottom when I drained some off so I am going to get some good oil and top it off for now.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Whatever you buy it should be SAE30 viscosity and have “meets Cat TO-4 specification” on the label.

From experience I’ll second the recommendation of ConocoPhillips Powerdrive 30 or Mobil’s Mobiltrans HD30 oils as mentioned above by Cat977. Both meet the spec you are looking for.

leadfarmer

I don't know if it is still the case, but 30wt TDTO-4 was on sale a few months ago at my local CAT shop and the price wasn't much more than what I could buy generic oil for at Rural King.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Hey LF I was digging through some stuff Nige had put up about the Cat TDTO oil here's some more on it.

Attachments

• Cat TDTO.pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 4

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I don't know if it is still the case, but 30wt TDTO-4 was on sale a few months ago at my local CAT shop and the price wasn't much more than what I could buy generic oil for at Rural King.
Others have commented the same, that when there are offers on at the local dealer the price is often on a par with parts house generic oil.

charles walton

Whatever you buy it should be SAE30 viscosity and have “meets Cat TO-4 specification” on the label.

From experience I’ll second the recommendation of ConocoPhillips Powerdrive 30 or Mobil’s Mobiltrans HD30 oils as mentioned above by Cat977. Both meet the spec you are looking for.
I ended up getting the NAPA 30WT TO4 oil and it was probably as much as the CAT oil,$106 after tax for 5 gallons. I'm not going to change the oil right now because it's clean. Thanks to everyone for responding,now I'm about to start on the roller frame bolts and wear strips and get the finals sealed up and replace anything in them that needs it,hopefully not much.

Tyler d4c

I ended up getting the NAPA 30WT TO4 oil and it was probably as much as the CAT oil,$106 after tax for 5 gallons. I'm not going to change the oil right now because it's clean. Thanks to everyone for responding,now I'm about to start on the roller frame bolts and wear strips and get the finals sealed up and replace anything in them that needs it,hopefully not much.
Thats more then cat oil runs here....