• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

303c cr Final Drive oil

Tugger2

SN 3XT02093 I went to service the final drives on my 303 cat. The book that is attached to the machine calls for 1 litre of oil in each final drive and warns about causing seal leakage by overfilling. There might have been a quarter litre drained out ,but they show no leakage.
When i roll it around until the drain plug is at the bottom, 6 oclock position,the other plug is right at 12 o'clock. There is one plug in the centre as well. The book shows 3 plugs as well one at 6 o'clock, one at 10 o'clock and one at 1 o'clock listed as drain ,level and fill. Much different than mine.
I couldnt fit a litre of oil into mine with the plugs at 6 and 12 o clock. In fear of over filling ,i rolled the plugs around to 9 o clock and 3 o clock ,letting the level settle there, about a half litre. Has anyone here ran into similar circumstances, Im confused by the manual ,assuming its the correct one by the fact its hooked to a cable behind the seat.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
It is normal to fill from the top until at the level point 3 or 9 O'clock please see illustration.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• TRANSMISSION LUBE.pdf
    305.4 KB · Views: 15

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Your S/N is BXT02093, not 3XT. Had me fooled for a minute.
If you had the latest version of the manual, you would see that there are two types of final drive cover - Type 1 & Type 2.
It appears that your manual only shows a Type 1 cover. Below is the illustration of what you apparently have, the Type 2 cover. The Drain plug is #1, the level plug is #2, and the fill plug is #3.
A note regarding capacities. As the manual clearly states, all capacities are APPROXIMATE. (As a comment many of them are calculated, and never actually measured by filling them) Any compartment should always be filled to the marks on the dipstick, sight glass, or level plug, whichever applies.
upload_2019-8-16_12-21-22.png

Tugger2

Thats great .I think they have to be way off on their recommended capacity.As long as the housing is half full i should fine then? Time for new glasses . Thankyou Nige

Tugger2

I think its fine now ,but the confusing thing is i could fill it with the full litre and it would run out the top hole but not really be flooding out of the middle hole like you would expect. Thats what lead me to rotate the housing so 2 holes were at 9 and 3 o clock. Funny the circumstances on seemingly simple things that will throw you off before you have been taught by the school of hard knocks, ie a toasted final drive from lack of oil.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
With something so small as your machine it’s probably taking a bit of time for the oil to find its way between the gears. Try this - after draining the oil install the level plug and fill the full 1 litre through the fill plug then leave it for say 30 minutes to let the oil settle. Then remove the level plug and allow any excess oil to drain to set the correct level.