• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

30" digging bucket question

Bluefin650

Is anyone using a 30" digging bucket on a 8K lb machine? I have a 35d that has an operating weight of about 8k lbs, it has a lifting capacity of about 1,500 lbs. The 30" JD bucket that I'm looking at has a 5.2cu/ft capacity. I believe that comes out to about 500lbs and change plus the 218lbs the bucket weighs?
My question is, will a 30" bucket be to heavy for the machine and make unstable while swinging? JD does market a 30" bucket for a 35D.
Or, am I overthinking it?

Thanks

Shimmy1

Dug many, many 3 by 8 by 5 deep holes with a 304 CCR with a 36" bucket loading it all on a dump truck. You will be fine with a 30"

Shimmy1

Shimmy1 I dig holes very close to that same size. I'm guessing for the same purpose.
One of the happiest days of my life when my dad finally was able to buy one. Did them all before that with a 24". What a PITA. Probably cut the time to dig by 75% when we got the 36". The purpose built ones are way shallower and are designed to have the most efficient range of motion for this work.

DGODGR

Is anyone using a 30" digging bucket on a 8K lb machine? I have a 35d that has an operating weight of about 8k lbs, it has a lifting capacity of about 1,500 lbs. The 30" JD bucket that I'm looking at has a 5.2cu/ft capacity. I believe that comes out to about 500lbs and change plus the 218lbs the bucket weighs?
My question is, will a 30" bucket be to heavy for the machine and make unstable while swinging? JD does market a 30" bucket for a 35D.
Or, am I overthinking it?

Thanks

Dug many, many 3 by 8 by 5 deep holes with a 304 CCR with a 36" bucket loading it all on a dump truck. You will be fine with a 30"

Shimmy1 I dig holes very close to that same size. I'm guessing for the same purpose.
Sounds like you guys are digging graves! The 304 is a fair bit heavier (maybe 10-10.5k?) and the TB 135 is more of a conventional than a Deere 35d. I have a CAT 305.5 and a Bobcat 435. They are compact radius and zero tails respectively. This makes a difference when extending weight out from center. I put 36" buckets on my minis and I clearly see the value of doing so over running smaller buckets. It will make a difference in production and the machine will be more tippy. I put the additional counter weights on my machines just to counter act this....They are still tippier with the bigger buckets. I'm not saying that one can't use them, but i would say that one must be more cautious. If you're that concerned about it rent one for a day, or see if your dealer will allow you to demo one, and see for yourself before you buy. The other thing to consider is if your machine will have enough power and weight to properly fill the bucket with each pass, with the ground conditions that you have in your area. Again, demo one. That way you can see for yourself.

Bluefin650

Thanks for the responses. I have a 3' articulating grading bucket that the Dealer sold me with the machine. The bucket was built locally to me and I believe it is to heavy for the machine. It stands at least 3' tall and throws the center of gravity off and becomes unstable when swinging. It is difficult to be smooth if you are extended out because of the weight. This is why I was gun shy.

Jbullfrog

You should be able to handle digging with it. Take smaller bites and don't over fill it. I have a 5 ton machine and dig with a 36" bucket. Digging isn't the problem, it's swing it and dumping where it gets tipsy. See if you can find a bucket to demo before you buy one.