• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

299d2 screen and warning lights glitch

Nikev

Help!
I have a 299d2 xhp new to me about 6 months.
My advanced display screen has been going off intermittently. Now it’s off 99% of the time. Occasionally I’ll look up and it’s on.
Now the 3 warning lights above the screen are on constantly, including when key is off.
Key switch starts and stops machine normally, but when the battery switch is turned on the warning lights come on. They do not go off. Park brake functions normally with the switch but the light stays on. The attachment light stays on, as does the seat belt light.
I have removed and cleaned 7 of the 9 listed ground points. The 2 engine grounds I didn’t do.
I’ve removed the 6 fuses under the cab as well as all fuses in the cab along with each relay in the cab.
At no time do the warning lights go off.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks in advance

Nikev

Help!
I have a 299d2 xhp new to me about 6 months.
My advanced display screen has been going off intermittently. Now it’s off 99% of the time. Occasionally I’ll look up and it’s on.
Now the 3 warning lights above the screen are on constantly, including when key is off.
Key switch starts and stops machine normally, but when the battery switch is turned on the warning lights come on. They do not go off. Park brake functions normally with the switch but the light stays on. The attachment light stays on, as does the seat belt light.
I have removed and cleaned 7 of the 9 listed ground points. The 2 engine grounds I didn’t do.
I’ve removed the 6 fuses under the cab as well as all fuses in the cab along with each relay in the cab.
At no time do the warning lights go off.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks in advance
Forgot to add serial
* CATO299DVDX200902*

Nikev

Forgot to add serial
* CATO299DVDX200902*
Also I have tried holding down the 2 outside buttons for a reset. All that happens is after 10-15 seconds the 3 warning lights get dimmer until I release. Nothing happens on the screen

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Any ideas out there?
Do the engine grounds, just for completeness. You've done everything else.
You're going to need an electrical schematic which is easy now you supplied a S/No.
Also a photo of the panel in the upper RH corner of the cab. Let's see what we're working with here.

See the photo below. First turn the battery master switch OFF. Then disconnect all the wires from the connecting stud in the red circle EXCEPT the big 4SWG Red one, then turn the battery master switch back ON and advise if the warning lights are off. You do NOT need to remove any of the three relays. I know they are out in the photo but that was a different problem.
You will need the cab raised for access.

1711157277136.png

Nikev

thanks Nige.
Will do that in the morning.
Which panel? Photo of the display with warning lights? Only thing I’ve thought of to keep lights on would be a stuck relay. I did take a pic of the display yesterday when it came on for the first time in weeks. It did stay on until key off, but wouldn’t come back. IMG_6450.jpeg

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
It’s a long shot but disconnect the camera on the rear door. Sometimes when faulty they can cause the advanced display to freeze up. I’m guessing you’ve checked the main earth strap between cab and machine frame?

Nikev

It’s a long shot but disconnect the camera on the rear door. Sometimes when faulty they can cause the advanced display to freeze up. I’m guessing you’ve checked the main earth strap between cab and machine frame?
Camera was already removed when we got it. Ground strap was removed cleaned and reinstalled.

Nikev

The one in your photo. There are a few options and it's good to know which one you have.
Removed the one wire that was on the stud other than the large one.
No warning lights now when turning battery disconnect on.IMG_6486.jpeg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Leave it de-powered for a while. See if you can send it to sleep.

I sent you a schematic.
When you get it, disconnect the 12-pin connector behind the LCD instrument panel then reconnect the cab power supply at the stud in the back. Check for power between Pins 1 & 2 with the battery master switch ON and then for power between Pins 8 & 2 when you turn the key ON.

A comment. if those green crusties visible on the ring terminals in your photo are any indication of the rest of the sysm you could welll have a condensation/corrosion problem somewhere. Take a good look at the 12-pin connector for the LCD display and the pins on the dsplay itself for a start......

1711220538486.png

Nikev

Pins 1 and 2
12.6 constant
Nothing between 8 and 2
Switch on or off

Someone has been there before as there is a probe mark on the blue wire where it enters the plug.

Nikev

So I believe the connection point circled in red may be the screen power issue. I’m not with the machine right now but anticipate it will be near the screen as the throttle controls are on that side.
308-L65 is the concern
308-L64 comes from key switch
308-L76 is foot throttle
308-L82 is hand throttle
Both throttles work so assuming they’re receiving power.
Will updateIMG_6487.jpeg