• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

299D No regen

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
I believe I found them. The connector is the most rear one (or the left one when looking at them). On the yellow signal wire on I got good resistance. The black wire has no resistance.
Resistance is bad. But I think I know what you mean. So you had say 0-10 ohms on the signal wire and OL (open loop) on the sensor supply wire? If you found otherwise please post what your multimeter screen told you.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Ok. So we've confirmed the C249 black wire is bad.

My thoughts on repair... I'd be inclined to run some twin core in some conduit and replace both those wires, keeps the job neat. On the sensor end I'd install a 391-0247 connector repair kit. On the ECM end I would use the Kubota ECM plug repair kit (Cat p/n 423-1563, which comes with 5 replacement female terminals and a pin extractor tool) and run those 2 wires straight into the ECM plug.

But... how you repair it is up to you. If you decide to cut the wires just after the ECM plug, at least check for some pull-up voltage out of the ECM on the black wire after you cut it (given you have now confirmed the black wire is bad I'm suspecting that wire will have either 5 or 8 volts pull-up, contrary to what I said a few posts ago, and pull-up voltage would make sense given the -3 voltage high code).

Once it's all fixed, I'd cycle that battery isolator, fire it up, low idle for 5 minutes, park brake on, implements locked out, straight to high idle. As mentioned previously the idea of leaving the machine at low idle (as stated in the OMM) is a terrible idea. If you're lucky the soot loading in the DPF won't be too high and regen will commence.

Jeffrey Bandel

Got it wired and the fuel temp code is gone. Still getting the "conditions aren't met for regeneration". This goes back to my original question: is there a list of conditions that have to be met? btw I replaced the dpf filter two years ago and about 300 hours ago.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
btw I replaced the dpf filter two years ago and about 300 hours ago
When this was done was an ash model reset performed using Cat ET? It's a must.

Also why was the DPF replaced? Was this done as preventative? Or were you getting codes or events?

Also are you still seeing the E1239-3 event active?

Any other codes/events active?

back to my original question: is there a list of conditions that have to be met?
No. As I said earlier on this could be something as simple as a sensor input to the engine ECM reading slightly off skew. Inputs include fuel pressure, mas air flow (boost), DPF temp sensors, DPF pressure differential sensor, coolant temp, etc, etc, with fuel pressure, DPF press differential and boost pressure sensors being the most common to give you trouble. Fuel temp is just one of those inputs so there's no doubt in my mind you've done the right thing by correcting that active code.

A good example is the DPF differential pressure sensor. If it reads just half a psi off skew this effects the soot loading model in the ECM roughly 25%.

It's a simple check to do with ET, but it obviously means you need to call someone out. If you do, demand they provide you with a copy of the Product Status Report pdf file and post it up here. I'd need to see DPF #1 Soot Mass readings.

With key on engine off, are there any sensor parameters you can see in your display?

Jeffrey Bandel

I replaced the DPF myself. I had to . The machine derated to a crawl. CAT had to come out when I was done and hook up their to computer to tell the machine I replaced the DPF.

No other relevant active codes. E1239-3 is still active.

It has around 3,800 hours on it.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
What irrelevant active codes and events do you have?

The fact that there's still a level 3 event calling for an immediate machine shutdown almost certainly means there's either another active event or active code that is relevant. Otherwise you have a software/ECM problem.

Edit: I take the above comment back. Regen issues are somewhat of an exception to this.

I wouldn't run this machine any longer than you have to with the level 3 event active.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Bandel

The irrelevant codes are about the bucket sensor--it's been like that forever and doesn't affect anything. I don't know what you mean by battery isolator. Does this machine have one?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I don't know what you mean by battery isolator. Does this machine have one?
It's not standard but a lot of machines get retrofitted with one. If the machine has one it will be in the negative cable between the battery and machine frame ground. If it doesn't have one just disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes or so then reconnect.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
That'll do. As long as you had it disconnected for 5 to 10 mins after the repair.

When fitted the battery isolator sits here...

1697387156562.png

I think you have done everything you can without ET unfortunately.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
One last thought, and a bit of a long shot, report back if you find any oil pooling internally in or around this hose...
1697389090097.png

Jeffrey Bandel

I got a quote from a company today to do a delete on the DPF. Essentially, they hook up to your machine remotely and reprogram it. Then you have to go in and remove/bypass the dpf filter. They want $3,600 for a 30 minute reprogram job. Seems excessive to me. Looks like I will haul it to CAT and have them do the regeneration.

Jeffrey Bandel

Part of my question was answered. The fuel temperature sensor is one of the variables that influences dpf regeneration. Today I hauled it to the Cat dealer. They hooked up their computer and got it regenerating immediately. They agreed that was the problem. I was in and out in 45 minutes. So, if anyone gets that code for the fuel sensor, fix it.