• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

297C continuous flow

mwells

I have a 297C skid steer that I purchased a few years back s/n# 0297CVGCP01214. I recently purchased a mulcher and was having problems getting the high flow to come on. I realized that I need the plug and to jumper F and G to get the high flow to come in. my problem is now that I got my high flow to work, I have lost my continuous flow. which was working flawlessly. I did get it to come in once after about 20 tries of hand wheeling and holding down the bottom left button on the left joystick. like I said I had no issues before until I jumpered the F and G for my high flow. any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Maybe I didn’t explain it clearly enough. You don’t even need an attachment connected to the machine to make the test. Simply start the engine and roll the thumbwheel in each direction for a couple of seconds. You should hear the hydraulic system load up the engine. That test proves the thumbwheel is working correctly.

The next test is to locate the 12-pin electrical connector below the LH joystick. With the key OFF open up the connector and check for continuity between Pins 11 & 12 on the joystick side with the continuous flow button pressed and with it released. This will prove if the CF pushbutton is working correctly.

mwells

ok thanks! I will try this when I get up there this weekend. I'm pretty sure the thumbwheel is working correctly because it works going down on the attachment and does load up the machine when pressed upward right now.

Nige

ok thanks! I will try this when I get up there this weekend. I'm pretty sure the thumbwheel is working correctly because it works going down on the attachment and does load up the machine when pressed upward right now.
OK, so you first need to confirm that the thumbwheel consistently loads up the hydraulics (do it more than once in each direction in other words) then move on to testing the continuity of the CF button on the LH joystick.

EDIT: Post a photo of the instrument panel in the top RH corner of the cab. It may just be that you have the type of panel that permits you to look at electronic diagnostics - fingers crossed.

mwells

will do! I will get back to you, beings this machine is up in the country so if I don't make it up there today it will be tomorrow.

Laneroyal

Question- similar problem, while running a mower on my cat 286b. Whin I push or pull the thumb wheel on the right stick to start the mower, also ditch witch, it will start rotating and than it just starts to release pressure. If I continue to hold the thumb wheel , it will takeoff again after about 30 seconds. Tried switching hoses no change? Any help?

Jallen40263

I have a similar problem with my 287c
CAT0287CLMAS00523 loader. The hydraulics will maintain continuous flow high or low flow for about 15-30 seconds. Then hydraulics will pauses for around 10 seconds and the cycle repeats itself while running an attachment. Is this a symptom of a worn charge pump? TIA

Nige

Start by checking if there is any variation in output voltage from the roller switch.
Find the 12-pin connector below the joystick and backprobe Pins 2 & 3 (green & white wires). The signal is a PWM so you will require a meter capable of measuring duty cycle. It ought to be 50% in the centre, 90% rolled one way, and 10% rolled the other way, and these signals should be stable.

Then move to the output of the ECM to the AUX solenoids #1 & 2. Again you need to backprobe to check for a stable voltage signal arrving at the solenoids.

Nige

Thank you for the input
The downside to piggy-backing questions on an existing thread without sufficient detail........

I'm almost sure your machine is different to what I posted above because you have a B model which IIRC uses a magnetic switch on the thumbwheel roller rather than a PWM sensor. Post a Serial Number and I can check the relevant electrical schematic to confirm.

Nige

CAT0287BHZSA03364
So you have the older style thumbwheel roller control with a proportional magnetic switch. With the key switch ON, backprobe the same Pin Numbers 2 & 3 (in this case green & brown wires) of the 12-pin connector without disconnecting anything. You should measure around 4.5v with the thumbwheel roller in the centre, around 2v with it rolled fully one way and around 7v with it rolled fully the other way. Again look for stability in the output voltage with the roller in a certain position.

1711992385657.png

After you do that get the floor up and take a good look at the AUX ECM for dirt contamination and/or corrosion. The ECM location on your machine is very prone to that if the area is not kept clean and dry. Water ingress to the ECM is also a possibility, that can make them do strange things. The one you should pay close attention to is the one on the RH side of the cab, but look at the one on the left while you have the floor up, some cleaning now could save problems later.

1711992744266.png

Laneroyal

Thank you for the help. Last year I did get the front stuck in a flooded creek. Had to come back later Whin the water went down.

Nige

That is the top of my list. If I have to get a new one, do they have to be programmed?
Yes they do, because they are used in more than one product line. The installed software creates the "identity" for the required application.

An unprogrammed ECM is 216-0658. There is also a Reman Part Number 10R-5613.
If your current ECM has been damaged by water ingress it is highly unlikely that it will be acceptable as a Core Return for a Reman ECM.

The required software P/N for your machine ZSA03364 is 284-3058.
An 216-0658 ECM already programmed with 284-3058 software is available under Part Number 284-3059.

1712005798301.png

Be sure you're sitting down when you ask for prices.........