• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

289D Starting issue

Reclaimer

I would like to share an issue I had with a machine that I purchased at an auction that was having starting issues. When I picked this machine up, I installed a new Battery in it and still had to jump start it. Got it home and had to jump start it on the trailer again. It sounded like the starter was kicking in and out instead of dragging. The first thing that I did was replace the starter as when it did turn over it seemed like it was dragging. Dug into the problem deeper and to make a long story short I found that the ground from the start relay back to the engine ECM was an issue. I could ground the relay externally and the relay would stay energized, and the starter would turn the engine over. Was about to replace the engine ECM after I thoroughly cleaned what I thought was all of the ground lugs and cables and still had issues. I finally found a ground wire on the engine block behind the alternator that was the culprit. Cleaned the bold and wire terminals but still had issues. I finally added a ground wire from there to the lug on the frame by the battery and the machine starts like a new one. This machine has from the factory a ground strap from the neg terminal of the battery to the starter housing that I thought would have grounded the engine block properly, but it didn't. In the end I may not have really needed to replace the starter. I could see where this type of an issue could turn into a very costly repair bill for someone.

Vetech63

an issue I had with a machine that I purchased at an auction
OH GOD...........Here we go!
I could see where this type of an issue could turn into a very costly repair bill for someone.
You are fortunate and used some brains, so you came out ahead. Most purchases at an auction end up as parts catchers until it either repairs the problem or breaks the owners bank. I am not fond of the auction machines as most are there for major reasons...........but sometimes there is a diamond in the rough.