• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

287B right track locked up

Dustin Lonas

I have a 287b high flow xps that the right side drive motor locked up. If the machine is reved up all the way I can make it bump forward and backwards but only a couple inches both directions. Prior to this happening it ran fine but has always been sluggish. My questions is that inside of the drive motor is their anything that will just lock it up or is it the charge pump not releasing the parking brake on that side. any help would be great. thanks

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Never worked on one of these but some possibilities are breaks,control valve ,drive motor seized ,problem in planetary hub. I’m assuming that there are no visible external problems.

Dustin Lonas

Nothing external that I can find. Pulled squirrel cage off and can't find anything. If the drive motor is unhooked from all the hydraulics will it spin freely or is the break internal?

ianjoub

I just reinstalled tracks on mine. The motors would spin (both directions) even with the hydraulic lines hooked up. We used the squirrel cage and a pry bar to rotate them, machine not running at the time of course. On a side note, the machine was out of hydraulic fluid at the time, not sure if that matters.

Dustin Lonas

Thanks that helps alot. I believe I'm goanna pull the pump tomarow and open in up to see if I find anything noticable. Pulled lines and found no shavings. Hopefully the contamination stayed internal of the pump. Gotta think positive

Dave Neubert

It don't look like you can get the planetary separate so if there is metal parts in there you will have to buy the whole assy. with the motor 4,100.00 at Cat

Dustin Lonas

That's good to know. I was hopping someone would say that. I just wanna make sure it's the problem before I buy a new drive motor. Should I replace both sides or will it be okay?

Dustin Lonas

So an update haven't ordered a new one yet. My gauges came in and tested the charge pump and I am reading 0 at idle and 125 at full throttle. So either it's bad or I'm dumping it past something. So I guess I need to tear the other side down and see if that's the problem side. Any feed back would be great

steve1108

So an update haven't ordered a new one yet. My gauges came in and tested the charge pump and I am reading 0 at idle and 125 at full throttle. So either it's bad or I'm dumping it past something. So I guess I need to tear the other side down and see if that's the problem side. Any feed back would be great

mine did the same thng, had to replace the left hydo stat motor. works fine. might help. I have a question for you. is yours a xps. mine was broke when I bought it. now its fixed. I have no idea on how to or what toggle switches to use the hydo connections on the front. cat is no help if you could help id be great full.