• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

287b bucket goes up and down but machine will not drive help!

mcratchet

just replaced main hyd hoses to drive motors ran machine for about an hour now it will not move bucket is fully operationally:(

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
When you say you "ran the machine for about an hour" do you mean working with it or just running the engine..?
If you were working with it and it was moving fine the first thing I would think of looking at is the safety interlock on the cab door (or even the jumper if the machine has no door - the circuit has to be completed one way or the other), the safety bar, or the park brake switch.

mcratchet

yes worked the machine,open cab park brake goes out, boom picks up, today i tried it boom will hardly go up now without revving the engine up. maybe pumps going out!

mcratchet

yes i know there is no issues with safety system just hydraulic! yes there is the right amount of oil! just was wondering if anyone has had this problem before is it worth checking that plastic coupler that marries the pump to the engine?

Nige

Your OP said nothing about slow hydraulics, just that "bucket goes up and down but machine will not drive" - hence my first thought of safety systems.

I would say, and others may correct me on this, that if the coupler between the engine and the pump fails you would have no hydraulics at all. You say you have working hydraulics albeit they are slower than normal. Can you see any signs of frothing or bubbles in the hydraulic tank sight glass..? If not I suggest your next step is to inspect the hydraulic filter internally - you will need to cut it open to do this but can you find any traces of metal (either steel or bronze) in it..?

Nige

Typical failure mode for a piston-type implement pump, which is what you've got. Pump needs to come out I'm afraid. There are loads of repair kits for it (provided it's not totally trashed inside) but it all depends what you find when you pull it apart if you choose to go that route. You will also likely have a major amount of system cleaning to do because the filter is in the return side of the system. Those particles that you found inside the filter element may well have found their way to a lot of other places in the system as well, and if you don't get them out your new/repaired pump will quickly go the same way as the old one.

Nige

There is a single 2-section piston pump for the hydrostat and a 2-section gear pump for implements. My feeling is that it's the piston pump that is likely the root cause of your problem, although bronze passing through the system could have trashed the implement pump as well. Despite having said that I would pull the implement pump apart first because it's simpler and much cheaper to fix.

CAUTION - this is what the Disassembly & Assembly manual says "This component is being disassembled and displayed for CLEANING PURPOSES ONLY. Many internal parts are not available for this component. Care must be taken during disassembly and assembly in order to prevent damage to unavailable parts."

mcratchet

ok great thanks for all your help! of course i dont have the manual, is there disassembly instructions in there? or do you have a link for a manual or breakdown?

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
So when you replaced the hoses did they get cleaned after they were built?
I would say pull complete pump and motor system and clean and rebuild it all or you will be chasing your tail for a long time. Wash the machine until it's spotless before you pull anything apart. Contamination kills the hydrostatic system.

mcratchet

yes i did i blew brake clean through the hoses then air to dry them and new oil and filter. i have always done this maybe it was just time! anybody have any breakdowns of the pumps?