• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

279D Skid Steer

Mitch O

The air conditioning is lacking. In cool time of morning it blows cold air, but once the temperature rises outside it stops blowing cold air??

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Also known for getting evaporators and ducts blocked with cr@p & crud. Sometimes only a complete disassembly of the ducting, clean the evaporator, pull the radiator apart, clean the condenser, etc, etc. will work. Need a S/No for more specific details - too many options out there.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I know about nothing about AC systems, shop always farmed that out once we started getting equipment with those on them.

But the one thing I do know is cleaning things is critical. Any place air goes so will dust and cr@p and a little moisture turns the stone dust to cement and no more air flow!

Zewnten

Unfortunately cat packs most of the AC into a little black box but that being said once you open it everything is right there. I always check the charge first then like Nige says if that's good the thermostat may have fallen out of the evaporator, the evaporator could be full of dirt, air filters could also be clogged. What is the temperature at the vents and what is the ambient temperature at the same time?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I generally go first with anything that doesn’t require special tools, so for me I’d be checking cleanliness inside the black box and the duct and simple things like belt condition & tension first.

I often said the best mechanic is a lazy and cheap one.

I always tried the easy stuff first, check fluids, wash machine and stuff like that. Then if there was a point at which replacing a part seemed the way to go and I was not sure what needed replacing, replace the easy $5.00 part long before going for the hard to reach $1,000.00 part.

Now if we can convince someone with a D9H to follow that plan we and him will be money ahead!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What year model is your 279D? I've got a '16 that after 3 years still blows ice cold.

Mitch O

Thanks for all of the responses. I now have some where to start. Will post results when I get them.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I don't recall doing that.
Damnit..!! Beaten to it by Hansen.

Really.......... Do you not change the engine lube oil filter and fuel filters also..? They're all kinda part of a regular preventive maintenance program.
Another question. Do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it..? If you don't I can give you directions on how to get one. Probably the best $50 you will ever spend...........

Attached is how to change the aircon filters. Part Numbers are 265-6618 and 265-6619. I suggest that you change both as a first step. Price is about $50 the pair. DO NOT mess around trying to clean them, especially at that price.
There is also an attachment of how to D&A the aircon and the heater. I don't recommend you disassemble the whole thing but Steps 6 & 7 of that procedure are relevant because they show you how to get at the core which is probably by now full of a mixture of dust & cr@p that resembles concrete. A lack of air flow through that core will also put a serious crimp in the way the a/c functions. While you're at it, go for the trifecta. Open the door at the back of the machine and give the a/c condenser a good wash, just for sh1ts & giggles.

Attachments

• 279D Aircon Filters.pdf
    475.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 279D Aircon D&A.pdf
    632.5 KB · Views: 6