• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

277C won't stop beeping

terrymf47

I have a 2009 Cat 277c MTL. Bought it 2 years ago used. It has started beeping inside the cab when moving in any direction and won’t stop beeping when moving. It takes about 30 seconds of travel after startup before it starts beeping. No warning lights accompany the beeps. All the lights are on when turning the key. The seat and armrest switches seem to be working OK. Fluid levels and temps OK. The hour meter has a little flashing hour glass in it which I cannot find in the manual. There seems to be no explanation about the user safety features in the maintenance manual. Questions: 1. What is causing it, 2. How do I fix it? Can anyone help or direct me to a service manual that explains the beeper system?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Possible over temp alarm for coolant or hydraulic fluid?
Does every warning light flash and the alarm beep during the panel self-test when you first turn the key on..? You may have to key on/off a number of times to confirm everything simply because there are so many warning lights.

If the lights all illuminate during the self-test but don't when the beep happens I'm at a loss to see how it could be an over-temp alarm.

terrymf47

Wow! Thanks for the fast attention! Serial no.: JWF01838. This is a basic "stripped down model". All the above were questions in my mind, but not covered well in manual. It does say the overheating will beep and show warning light. Doesn't seem hot after 3 hrs. running. Remember it only beeps when in motion. Stops beeping when left joystick is in neutral. Seller "told" me 2500 hr. maintenance had just been done. Had 2512 hrs when delivered to me. It is now 2685 hrs. Another note: back up horn in back has never worked (I don't care). Wiring fault in joystick?? Thanks much!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Wondering if some Genie-ass Mekanik may have wired the BU alarm to the wrong side of the travel switch?

terrymf47

All lights working at start up. OK, stripped down was poor choice of words. I mean lowest priced model of 277c. Single speed , single level suspension, no door, no enclosed cab, no heat or air; no gauges or code display or switches on upper right instrument panel. Don't have a paper manual, just downloaded a SEBU8020-01 56 page pdf file. I purchased a pdf download for a larger (more pages) manual, but when I opened it, it was for a 277B. I'm trying to get that straightened out now to get the right download. In the first picture, the little hourglass on the left end of the hour display flashes. No other warning lights on. Second pic shows lights before ignition.20190406_170202.jpg 20190330_160721.jpg

Nige

I think you there is a possibility that you have a fault ...........

First up the flashing hour glass next to the hour meter is simply telling you that the hour meter is counting.

Looking closely at your 2nd photo it appears as though the "Driver Alert" indicator light is not illuminating when the panel does it's self-test. So we have to assume that light is not working for some reason. I've circled it in a snip of your photo, the exclamation point can faintly be seen inside the blue circle. The buzzer sounding would normally be accompanied by that light flashing, but if it ain't working then all you have is the buzzer.......

upload_2019-4-7_7-19-1.png

Now the reason I say there is a possibility that you have a fault is a bit harder to explain. Looking at the Operator manual for your particular machine it shows a very different illustration of that particular panel (see below). I found an illustration of the panel in your photo in a manual for a 277D. The panel Part Number has changed twice, from 264-8860 to 346-6335 to the current number 361-3157. Everything shows that your machine was built with 264-8860. If at some time in the past that panel failed and was replaced the replacement would have been whatever was the latest P/N at that time, which could have been 361-3157 - therefore explaining why the panel actually in your machine doesn't look like the one in the Operator Manual. Doesn't help you much but provides some sort of context. Worst part is I have no idea how to go about testing whether the panel you have is good or not, other than installing a new one and see if that light works during the self-test. That's exactly what a dealer tech would do if it was in their shop - the difference is that if the new panel behaved exactly like the old one they'd simply hand it back to the Parts Dept for credit.......you don't have that option.

upload_2019-4-7_7-58-40.png

Bad news is that if panel #26 (P/N 361-3157) is defective, it is solid-state and a replacement goes for $512. Ouch...

upload_2019-4-7_8-7-28.png

Last edited:

Nige

Regarding your Operator Manual (but after the post above maybe it won't be a lot of help) you can download one from Cat Publications ... https://catpublications.com/
When the site opens, click on "Continue as Guest"
Type SEBU8020 in the box at the top of the screen and hit Enter. The snip below should be the first item that pops up on the Search list. As you can see the latest version of SEBU8020 is -06 which is exactly the same one as I'm looking at online.

upload_2019-4-7_8-15-41.png

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I think your best bet with this would be to get someone with Cat ET to hook up to it and tell you what faults are active. You could load it up and haul it to a Cat dealer for this too. Should be cheap to find your answer that way.

Nige

I think your best bet with this would be to get someone with Cat ET to hook up to it and tell you what faults are active. You could load it up and haul it to a Cat dealer for this too. Should be cheap to find your answer that way.
I think you're right. Fault finding by substitution could turn out awful expensive with this particular issue.

Canadian_digger

Had a 252B. Warning beeber would come on at start up. Over heat light was very dim. Ended up being a bad ground. I’m not saying this is your problem. Just make sure to check the basics.

terrymf47

Thanks to all for help to this point. Am out of town, away from the 277c this week. Have downloaded the proper manual and wiil study it this week. I'll probably be back working on it this Fri. Will post more findings then. Thanks again.

Nige

Have downloaded the proper manual and will study it this week. I'll probably be back working on it this Fri. Will post more findings then. Thanks again.
If you have downloaded SEBU8020-06 the problem is that the illustrations it contains show an Alarm Panel that is different to the one you actually have installed in your particular machine, therefore references in the O&M Manual will not be 100% relevant. Just sayin'........

terrymf47

Still beeping! I have disassembled left arm rest and instrument panel and checked fuse area. No evidence of damaged, loose or tampered wiring. No corrosion or moisture evidence. It is interesting that the panel is a p/n 264-8860.02 and the date is 06 06 08, which would indicate that this was the original panel. In browsing the web I saw a panel like your illustration and I believe it to be an optional right hand panel which on my machine is a blank panel. I doubt any of this matters and that the suggestion that I get it hooked to a Cat ET is probably the right move. I'm guessing the panel is bad (since the ! light is out) or maybe the left joystick?? Anyway, I have one more question. If I simply disconnect the beeper what will be the worst damage I could incur with the machine especially considering the driver alert light is not working. I cannot find a comprehensive list of driver alert issues on the web. In other words if the other lights which indicate serious problems like engine, hydraulic or temperature are working, what's the big deal about driver alerts? I am the only operator and this is my play toy. I now have run the MTL for a good 10 to 12 hours or more since the beeping started, without incident except that I am going crazy listening to that beeper! Your opinions will be greatly valued. Thanks.

Nige

The beeper going off (along with the Alert Indicator which unfortunately is dead) signifies a Level 3 Fault, the highest level of fault on the Monitor system.
Level 3 faults are for low oil pressure, high coolant temperature, high hydraulic temperature, OR an electronic fault.
  • A sensor on the machine may be faulted or has come unplugged. For tracked machines, check that the wiring to the drive motor speed sensors is not damaged. Consult your Cat dealer for advanced troubleshooting support.