• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

262 Cat = No heat

Ditch_pickle

Does anyone have the exploded view of where this electric valve is located ?
I have no heat as well...
Just purchased the machine so working out its kinks now... auction purchase ... *fingers crossed* its not a head gasket

I have a 2009 262C serial# MST02676

DslDrew27

Does anyone have the exploded view of where this electric valve is located ?
I have no heat as well...
Just purchased the machine so working out its kinks now... auction purchase ... *fingers crossed* its not a head gasket

I have a 2009 262C serial# MST02676
262c HVAC Box.gif

this box is located directly under the cab, toward the front of the machine. I think there's 4 10mm bolts holding it to the chassis, then to get the lid off there's 6 or 7 Torx screws. be careful when you're manipulating the box out of the machine, the copper stems of the heater core and evaporator bend and twist easily (ask me how I know!) Reference number #8 is the valve I assume we're speaking of, the part number I'm coming up with is 266-2432.

Ditch_pickle

Thanks for the reply. Also thanks for the warning able how soft the tubbing is.
I will look again for that value
I wasn't even looking there. I was digging in the back of the machine for a valve on the line and couldn't find it.
My heater core went - part ordered - swapping it out Friday

I'll give an Update and some pictures to help the next person

jbarnes85

Simple, they're both right ......

A 262 or 262B has a mechanically-controlled heater valve.
A 262C or D has an electrically-controlled heater valve.

Your thread was titled "262 Cat - No Heat" therefore CMark was correct in his response........... however if you have a C or D model he was incorrect but had no way of knowing because no clear information was given.

A simple way of solving the conundrum would be to give your machine Serial Number. Refer to Cm's signature line in post #2 above........
Hi there, I have a 2005 cat 262b and am having trouble locating the mechanically controlled heater valve. Where would I look for that at? Thank you John

jbarnes85

Okay, thank you. I have turned that all the way on heat. I have cut off the air conditioner switch and it's just blowing air. No heat.

heymccall

With pipe
Screenshot_20230919-204519_Chrome.jpg
Without pipe
Screenshot_20230919-204603_Chrome.jpg

But, it's just a butterfly valve, just like a carburetor choke or throttle plate. Failure is typically loss of Oring on the perimeter of the valve plate, resulting in not stopping heat.
If you have no heat, you either have a coolant issue (level, water pump, or pinched hose) or debris plugging heater core/ evaporator.

Last edited:

jbarnes85

Okay. Mine runs all the time. But I've noticing that my coolant lines aren't getting nearly hot enough to allow the heater to work. That's what made me think it's supposed to run off of temperature sensor to turn off and on like a vehicle.

We also noticed that when you first start the machine cold that there is circulation at the radiator cap. Someone said that it could be a open thermostat or partially open thermostat. Any advice?

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Not familar with your machine but maybe there's an issue with the valve to let hot coolant get to the heater core not opening enough? Not sure if it's electrical or mechanical. I know vehicles can have issues with no heat that can be difficult to figure out sometimes.