• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

259D Cat skid steer

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
This info received from @Joshua3824. Need a bit of electrical help here...........

For info the 403 Green wire goes nowhere. It is part of the engine harness as far as the first big connector but has no mating wire on the other side of the connector. I'm assuming it's because the machine does not have a tacho.

1713280895110.png

"We put a new battery because the old one was dead. So as of now is only running from the battery voltage which is 12 volts, I tested how many volts the alternator is getting on the connector with the white wire and is getting same voltage as the battery with the machine on."

"there is another conector with a green wire that I’m not sure what it is, but if apply 12 volts with the power probe to that green wire while is connected to the alternator it starts charging 14 volts and stays charging even if I remove the 12 volts front the power probe. Then if I turn the machine off and start it back up it goes back to the same issue."

"Alternator was replaced 2 months ago not by me."

"The white & green wires are connected correctly to the R & P terminals."

ahart

Did China man hook up the P and R terminals backwards in the new alternator? Is it a Cat alternator or aftermarket?

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
don't have a schematic to view but fairly sure that green wire is for the hr meter

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
don't have a schematic to view but fairly sure that green wire is for the hr meter
Sorry but it isn't. Strictly speaking it's for a separate tacho which this machine does not have.

As posted above 403-GN goes as far as the engine harness connector CONN 4 but does not come out of the other side. Info received since Post #21 above states that in later machines that particular wire has been removed from the engine harness completely as it is not required.

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
ok then as you supplied a schematic from sis which I no longer have .it shouldn't be to bad to diagnose. Perhaps he could try using the cat 7 step trouble shooting method......its very effective and stops guess work and running in circles.