• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

259b lemon?

georgia con

So I'm new at this chat room stuff but thought I'd gather some more opinions.

We purchased a new 2013 cat 259b I July. I noticed it was burning oil at about 17 hrs. Talked to finning and was given a oil monitoring sheet. I was asked to log the oil consumtion as they figured it was just breaking in. Along we went for near 485 hrs and the unit burnt 70 plus liters of oil. Now back when I first notified them of the issue I was assured a 24hr no down time garentee. We made the call on a Monday morning and didn't geta unit till Wed afternoon and it came with wheels on it and wouldn't work in our situation. It then took them till the following Monday to get us somthing with tracks. By that time I had lost my contact that had paid close to 90g in 5 months. We were forced to find work in snow removal season 2 months after it started. Not a lot of quality work left around. Then they took 2 and a half months to get my unit fixed. Meanwhile we couldn't rig the loaner up for our new forced line of work or advertise on it. Now I have my unit back and after 10 hrs noticed it was starting to burn oil. Called my sales guy and the service department and didn't get a call back for two days. By the time the field tech got out we had 100 hrs on it burned 5 liters of oil and he pulls the filter apart and there's metal in it. So I guess here is the question I have. And I forgot to mention we are putting wrenches on this thing daily to keep the bolts tight.

Would you think at this point it is in Un reasonable to be asking for a new unit? It was in the shop for two and a half months before. We logged 300 hrs on the loaner through slow times. Now we're busy again and looking right at down time. Help me out here.

Gavin

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think it would be time to have a sit down with Finning and discuss options. I had a CASE machine in the late 90's that was a POS. Could not stay out of the shop (although it did not have as much shop time as yours has had). We made a deal between CASE, the dealer and myself and I got a new machine. I paid the deprecation for the hours I put on the machine (which I was good with) and I got a new one. Good luck.

durallymax

Theres lemons in every bunch, we went through it with Agco. Just keep on them, but keep your cool and try to work something out. Don't expect to get something for free, after all somebody has to eat the depreciation, but you should get some sort of good deal on it though.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
How are you operating them? Ive seen new machines that are always down do to lack of common sense! In Canada the wrong weight oil in a cold environment with a rev up warm up would be fatal.

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
I have to agree with KSSS & durally on this. Keep good records of calls and names. It has been my experience that in the long run CAT & the dealer will not want an unhappy customer. Work on a good deal and get it done. I would stick to my guns on the fact that I would no longer want the machine though.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would throw out casually during discussions that your on several equipment forums and these are some experiences of others who have had similar experiences. This will let those involved know that the issue is known beyond you and your circle of friends. CAT sales were down 16% in 2013. Bad press even on relatively small purchases like CTL's adds up, especially on the internet. I had a problem with a major tire OEM. I mentioned my involvement on several HEF type forums, complete with user name, they did the right thing after that. I have bought 15 machines since the one CASE traded me out of, that would not have happened if they bent me over on that bad machine. Be reasonable, respectful, and be the guy they want to help out and I am sure CAT will take care of you.

Digdeep

I would throw out casually during discussions that your on several equipment forums and these are some experiences of others who have had similar experiences. This will let those involved know that the issue is known beyond you and your circle of friends. CAT sales were down 16% in 2013. Bad press even on relatively small purchases like CTL's adds up, especially on the internet. I had a problem with a major tire OEM. I mentioned my involvement on several HEF type forums, complete with user name, they did the right thing after that. I have bought 15 machines since the one CASE traded me out of, that would not have happened if they bent me over on that bad machine. Be reasonable, respectful, and be the guy they want to help out and I am sure CAT will take care of you.

I will echo what KSSS said. Just sit down and have a calm discussion with your local dealer. CAT is where they are based on taking care of customers. I will add that IMO CAT won't be swayed by the fact that their sales were down 16% in 2013. Their construction sales were actually up in 2013 (20% up in the 4th qtr). Most of their lost sales were in Mining- down 48% and thighest revenue generator.

CAT is number one in the world and has been in business for over 85 years. They got that way by making good equipment and taking care of their customers. Good luck.