• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

24 ft goose neck rewire

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I actually keep flux pens and cigar torches with some 60/40 rosin solder in my side drawer in the little service truck I drive :) used to keep an assortment of adhesive shrink in there too but other guys kept using it... they don't know how to use solder though ;)
View attachment 211880

I see you got the small real solder in your box. Its funny to watch someone try to solder wires with the heavy plumbers solder that is mostly tin.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Yeah... and acid flux:eek:

I keep about 25 different types and sizes solder in stock around here everything from .1mm 65% on up to 6mm 40% for electronic work.

gwhammy

Just wired a gooseneck, I got the molded plug with 10 foot of wire to a junction box. Ran individual wiring threw tubing and put another junction box on the back. Soldered everything including the terminal ends and shrink wrapped every joint. I hate trailer wiring, if it isn't done right it's nothing but grief. Ground wire run everywhere also and grounded to the frame in several places. I hope it holds up.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Just wired a gooseneck, I got the molded plug with 10 foot of wire to a junction box. Ran individual wiring threw tubing and put another junction box on the back. Soldered everything including the terminal ends and shrink wrapped every joint. I hate trailer wiring, if it isn't done right it's nothing but grief. Ground wire run everywhere also and grounded to the frame in several places. I hope it holds up.

You have a good chance of it holding up as long as it doesn't get torn off.

gwhammy

I also put a ready made plug in the bed of the truck and I'm the only driver. Hopefully no more cords drug for miles. I've really gotten sick of working on trailer wires and brakes over the years. Tried to do everything to the best I knew how this time. Almost wish it had hydraulic brakes but had a couple of those units go bad before.

Fat Dan

they are LEDs
One issue I have found with just LED as rear lighting in snowy areas is they don't put off enough heat to keep the lens cleared of the snow while driving. LED's draw a lot less power and put off adequate light but put off little heat were the incandescent light bulb uses heat to put off light; If they would make a cambo of the two that would be much safer on snowy roads.
Or do they make them already?

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Yeah, I remember a thread last winter... or the one before that... someone(maybe me) put up a link to the led snowplow sets with heated front screens on them and I think they make all sorts of them for other uses.

Here's some... https://www.buyersproducts.com/product/snowdogg-led-plow-lights-306016160800

Just did a quick search I found at least 6 other manufacturers making them also.