• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2014 Case 580SN

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I didn't post this, but I could have. I studied it to see if it's a picture of my instrument panel. I have another thread going currently. Mine is Case 580 Super N. I get a symbol of a circle with teeth outside, & an exclamation point in center.
I called the Case dealer 70 miles away, their answer is "Bring it in, leave it." Mobile service is weeks out & estimated as $300. for travel cost. He may be able to plug in & diagnose. Repair will likely require a second trip.

My son found a "code reader" on line to get a code number. Where I then will find the meaning of the numbered code, I don't know.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
how does one access the codes on these machines? are they onboard diagnostics of some sort? posts all over are saying it shows code X,Y and Z but i cannot seem to access them. presumably there is some way to make the screen display them?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
update: I figured out how to view the codes, its convoluted, but doable, the PDF service manual does give codes and for each code a diagnostic/ repair procedure. the manual says I need the scan tool to clear codes. In some automobiles the codes will clear with the battery unhooked for a period of time, will such a procedure work in this situation?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Last couple posts weren't me. My son is a great deal more tech. adept than I. It appears there are four faults causing the alarm. Likely, as all seem to be a wiring harness issue it'll be a mating plug in the wiring harness. Last Case I had was a modular wiring harness, countless electrical failures occurred where sections of the harness plugged together at the lowest point where slop will drizzle down the harness to them.

edgephoto

update: I figured out how to view the codes, its convoluted, but doable, the PDF service manual does give codes and for each code a diagnostic/ repair procedure. the manual says I need the scan tool to clear codes. In some automobiles the codes will clear with the battery unhooked for a period of time, will such a procedure work in this situation?

cars haven't been able to do that for 25 years. Part of OBD II standards is they must be stored in non-volatile memory. I am sure Case does the same. Not sure if off-road EPA requirements demand it but probably do.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm still not clear how Seth was convinced it was the steering column mounted switch gear, He opened it up, found about two ounces of dielectric grease where there should be a tiny bit. I'm thinking cold weather, too much grease, contacts didn't quite make & they burned.
Cleaned up the contacts, removed most of the grease, it works. New part is ordered, we'll check it for excess grease.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
All you ever needed to know about a VCM, this is tier4B version. Other tiers are just missing a few of the codes and symbols as they have no DEF.

Attachments

• tier4VCM.pdf
    617.2 KB · Views: 16

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
All you ever needed to know about a VCM, this is tier4B version. Other tiers are just missing a few of the codes and symbols as they have no DEF.
At present, I think transmission.
The transmission according to Case literature is not an auto shift. Yet it seems to move from first to second. The control on the steering column is a mess! it was overfull of dielectric grease. I believe the excess grease in winter caused the points to scorch. The rotary switch controls transmission. It has several pairs of contact points. arranged so the moving conductive bridge makes contact with a pair at a time. Whether this part is the only problem, I can't say. With the control in first gear position it randomly toggles between 1st & 2nd.
A new control is on order. I hope it solves the problem.

edgephoto

In my day job I am a field engineer for a major auto manufacturer. I tell the technicians "always fix what you find, first". "Check the basics. Powers, ground and voltage drops". "Don't overthink it".

Good luck getting thing working @Willie B !

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The Case dealer I've dealt with many years informs me they are no longer a Case dealer. They still service, and offer parts.
The Colchester VT dealer shares my last name, past experience with them was less than pleasant.
There is I believe, a dealer in Troy NY.
I'll try the part, it should be here Monday or Tuesday. If it doesn't solve a problem, I'll haul it to a dealer & pray.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
No good. New part arrived, it didn't help. Other problems exist. We'll follow the wiring harness further, then haul to Plainfield 70 miles each way. Near certain, two round trips with truck & trailer, lots of uncertainty about cost or if they can fix it.

Moral of this story: don't ever buy anything from a used car dealer.