• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2013 Cat 299D Fuel Transfer Pump

heymccall

A) the knock off will work just fine...
2) a 100hr failure tells me that either
c) you're misdiagnosing
iv) you have crappiest luck

For giggles, serial number and an photograph of your actual pump on the machine, where I (we) can see hoses and the filter?

heymccall

Your problem is definitely from an engineering faux pas. The fuel from the tank is going to the the transfer pump unstrained. This allows the debris in the fuel tank to block, restrict, or damage the transfer pump.
There is an updated pump/ filter setup revision from Cat ($$$), but.... you can make your existing setup just as good, by adding a Napa 3972 inline screen between the tank and the pump inlet.

Install it anywhere convenient on the fuel hose above my squiggle.
Screenshot_20220915-110013_Chrome.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I've never seen one. I bought it used.
Not sure but from the way it shows on SIS:
Strainer.JPG
That makes me wonder if this was not a "standard" part on some machines.

I would still think about installing some kind of inline filter on the suction line to the pump. A see through one would be very good so you can keep an eye on it and change before it causes a problem!

kshansen

Occupation
Does that pump have a filter on the inlet?

Looking up just the pump number 345-3520 and I see this illustration for some applications:
filter.JPG
with Item #1 being a filter P/N 363-5823

Attachments

• filter.JPG
    filter.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 1

heymccall

Boy, it sure looks like a strainer already there. If that's what that is, there's no need to add another. I'd be looking at fuel line blockage next, from the tank.
Screenshot_20220915-202808_Chrome.jpg

But it ain't a 363-5823, like below.
Screenshot_20220915-203141_Chrome.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Just out of curiosity is there a part number visible on what appears to be a see through filter on that machine?

I agree on checking for blockage of some kind in the tank or fuel lines, or could there be a leak in the suction line causing the problem?

Seems like it would be easy to remove the pump and stick the suction end in a tank of fuel and connect power to it to see if it does pump.

kshansen

Occupation
Simply quoting from the description on Cat Parts Store...........and I'd still bet on it being plugged whatever flavour of screen/filter it is.
And if it is an "ultra-high efficiency" filter that might mean it can get plugged with ultra-fine crap that might be hard to see.

Like I said I would be tempted to remove the pump and bench test it with the filter removed to see if it flows good. Might want to try the old one too if it hasn't hit the scrap bin already!