• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2012 Cat 259B Should I buy it

dinasnore

I'm looking to add a CTL to my equipment to use when conditions are not good to use my old Case 1845 C. I am considering a 2012 Cat 259B with 1400 hours on it.
The machine is clean and has been used for personal use on a residential estate.

My concerns are the possible maintenance issues with this model. Its a tier 4 interim machine but I can't get any info from Cat on specifics without giving them the serial number of the machine I own.

Does anyone out there have experience with this machine and how expensive they are to maintain especially the emission issues. I know I have been spoiled by the old bomb proof Case 1845 C, but could use some real world advice from somebody who's been there.

Even a general maintenance schedule for this year and model would be of great help.

Thanks all

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Even a general maintenance schedule for this year and model would be of great help.
Can't help with your other questions but the best investment you could make if you do purchase the machine is an Operation & Maintenance Manual. First check if the original paper copy is in the pocket behind the seat. If it is - happy daze. It will have all the info you need. If not, the manuals are downloadable in pdf form from Cat Publications or can be bought on a CD.

Tyler d4c

It has a 3044 in it it is not a teir 4 or even a 3 (maybe considered a 3 but I doubt it) it wasn't till the 259d that they had any amount of a emissions system. With that said if funds allow id look for a d much nicer machine to operate as far as I am concerned.
As with all ctl and mini excavators I preach that the final oil be changed sooner then the engine oil. The finals are 8 or 9000 anymore.