• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2011 Cat 304C CR electrical problems

gotguns

Hello All,
I could use some help. I have a gremlin in my machine. I found a broke wire in the fuse block by the battery that was giving fits starting the machine. I got that fixed and it starts good now. I just had the alternator rebuilt by a shop, replaced the belt, and alternator pigtails. The machine runs ok but the battery light is flashing like crazy. I unplugged the pos side of the battery with the lights on and I never died. What do I need to look at? It never flashed before all of the repairs I made.

gotguns

Update. The problem light is still flashing. I tested the output at the back of the alternator and It is putting out 14 volts. Then with the machine off I tested the battery and it had 12.8 volts. I struggle with electric problems and don't really where to go from here, so any help would be great. I checked all the fuses I could find and they were also all good.

gotguns

I kind of can follow the schematic if someone can point me in the right direction

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I tested the output at the back of the alternator and It is putting out 14 volts. Then with the machine off I tested the battery and it had 12.8 volts.
Try testing at the battery with the machine running. What voltage do you see.?

TBH if the problem of the charge light flashing has started since you had the alternator rebuilt and reinstalled it then IMHO either the problem is with the rebuilt alternator itself or the way you reconnected it.

gotguns

Sorry for the delay, been pretty busy. So I checked the battery today with a meter at the battery and it was 14.6 volts. I ran the machine today and was running fine but the battery light flashed the whole time.