• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2006 John Deere 160 CLC Puzzler

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
I have had a head scratcher for the last couple years and. After sitting for a winter (16-17) we fired up this 2006 John Deere 160 CLC Excavator and it ran great, we were working it on a job and shut it off. After we restarted it it idles fine but as soon as you idle it up it runs terrible, missing and the whole motor shutters, sometimes puffs of black smoke. Obvious fuel issue. Well, that where it gets interesting. If you shut it back off and restart it, everything runs fine. Sometimes you have to restart it once, sometimes 3,4,5 times but it will always eventually run normal. 65% of the time it just starts and runs fine. Also never has a problem at 1st start of the day. Ive been hoping it would develop move, but its not getting any worse. So, Ive replaced the filters multiple times, drained the tank, blown through the lines into tank, inspected tank, replaced lines to tank, bypassed fuel cooler, replaced lift pump, replaced gaskets in pre-pressure lines, replaced crank sensor.
It dosent throw any check engine lights. Dont know about stored codes, dealer is very far away. I always run with the A/A & A/I off but am currently suspecting it may be one of these sensors sending conflicting information to computer. Looking for ideas now. Thanks!

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Have you check the filter housings really good ? I have seen dirt get packed in them were you would not see it unless you disassemble them .

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Have you check the filter housings really good ? I have seen dirt get packed in them were you would not see it unless you disassemble them .
The fuel filter housing? they are just canister type with a lock-ring that holds them in place. they are quite clean and orings are new on filters.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
The fuel filter housing? they are just canister type with a lock-ring that holds them in place. they are quite clean and orings are new on filters.
Yes I know that they are that type .But have you checked the fuel passages in them and the hand primer if installed on the primary filter .

Treetop

I have a 2005 160clc. Had same issue. I changed filters, injectors, even swapped computers. Turned out to be a ground issue. Open the door on cab side of machine behind cab. As you stand looking into compartment, the computer is on your left . If you look below computer there is a ground stud. Clean that stud real good. I fought this issue intermittently for six months. It returns as the ground stud corrodes a little. I will get a picture in the morning if you need me too. Hope this helps

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Yes I know that they are that type .But have you checked the fuel passages in them and the hand primer if installed on the primary filter .
Thanks, I will check this.

I have a 2005 160clc. Had same issue. I changed filters, injectors, even swapped computers. Turned out to be a ground issue. Open the door on cab side of machine behind cab. As you stand looking into compartment, the computer is on your left . If you look below computer there is a ground stud. Clean that stud real good. I fought this issue intermittently for six months. It returns as the ground stud corrodes a little. I will get a picture in the morning if you need me too. Hope this helps

I really like this idea! I will check this out in the morning and clean real well. I'll let you know!

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Thanks, I will check this.

I really like this idea! I will check this out in the morning and clean real well. I'll let you know!
Take the plugs out and use a pick you might find something in the passages.There is little hole that gets clogged up use a flashlight .

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Deere or Isuzu engine? (Sorry I'm better versed in the Hitachi side). I believe most Isuzu pumps have a banjo bolt with a strainer on one of the lines. Have seen those clog up.

Have you tried running it out of a fuel can?

Raj persaud

Well I think you did everything that will lead to that problem. I think its a mixed interception between the sensor and ECM. What you need to do next is to disconnect the battery and put on a light on the machine so that all current in the system will be pulled out. Wait for a 5 minute and then connect back the battery and your problem should be fixed.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Thanks for all the replies, Currently I cleaned the grounding bolt for computer really well and it hasn't acted up in two days. Last time I thought I fixed it though it came back a week later, haha. So I am optimistic this was it, but time will tell! If it starts acting up again I will start checking off more ideas. Thanks again for the replies, I was at a dead end

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
The problem has returned, it always started well in the morning so we just never shut it off until we were done with it. Well, currently it is starting with the "problem" it idles fine. As soon as you rev it up it begins to shudder and shake and miss. Looking for more ideas, it is not throwing any codes.

So far we have replaced the fuel filters multiple times, drained the tank, blown through the lines into tank, inspected tank, replaced lines to tank, Inspected inlet to filter housings, bypassed fuel cooler, replaced lift pump, replaced gaskets in pre-pressure lines, replaced crank sensor, Cleaned computer grounding lug, checked/cleaned check valve leaving injection pump. One of the injectors looked "damp" so we replaced that... Still acting up, any more ideas on thing to try?? Thanks

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
It REALLY DEPENDS on which injection pump u have.. as to how we proceed..
Diff. pumps have diff. diagnosis..
I'm happy to help, I just GOTTA KNOW what I'm working with..

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
I suggest the nervous approach check the turbo and for sticking valves.
Kind regards
Uffex

Bluox

You might want to call your JD dealer and have a chat ,I think they are having a lot of problems with these pumps.
Bob

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Pictures of pump

Attachments

• 57E3D869-CE5F-480D-9C09-678608505F66.jpeg
    57E3D869-CE5F-480D-9C09-678608505F66.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
  • 8E444A76-C0C9-453E-BF4A-A47762E9DC57.jpeg
    8E444A76-C0C9-453E-BF4A-A47762E9DC57.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
That's a DE pump.. all electronically controlled.. there is a spring inside that breaks & wont throw a code..
& act the same as u described..
There is a VERY specific timing procedure that MUST BE followed & requires special timing pins, so read up on it..

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Have you unthreaded the lid on each filter housing and cleaned in there?

Yes, they were both good. Nothing in them besides clean diesel

You might want to call your JD dealer and have a chat ,I think they are having a lot of problems with these pumps.
Bob

Its 12 years old now, not expecting it to last forever, they gave me a couple ideas to try to no avail. I did ask for a tech to come out but they said they were too busy?

That's a DE pump.. all electronically controlled.. there is a spring inside that breaks & wont throw a code..
& act the same as u described..
There is a VERY specific timing procedure that MUST BE followed & requires special timing pins, so read up on it..

Is there any tests I can do before replacing it? is it possible this spring could be so intermittent for 2 years? I ordered new injectors today to cross that off the list.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
First thing you should do is get a gauge hooked up to the fuel system to check fuel pressure to your injection pump. Make sure you have 3-5 psi minimum in all speeds and loads. Another thing I would try is while the engine is running try wiggling the wires that go into the back of the injection pump and wiggle the harness from the pump back to the ecu to see if the engine miss comes and goes. I have seen several failures of this harness on 160's in particular. The couple of the failures I've seen were within a 18" of the injection pump. Otherwise you may need a JD tech to hook up a laptop and check decay time, rise time, shutoff adjustment and valve closure times to see if there is an issue with the injection pump. One more question, what is the part number on the side of the ecu?