• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2006 GMC 3500 flickering dash and headlights

skyking1

My instinct is to replace the alternator and give that a try, but I am loathe to toss parts at something. it charges the batteries OK, I put a digital voltmeter on it and they do not track fast enough to show this flicker, but the voltage tracks along as expected. No I don't have an oscilloscope.
If I toss a $200 alternator at it and the problem does not go away, it is not the end of the world. I m hoping somebody has seen this issue and can lend some insight.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Don't know your exact condition, but did you check the switch terminals/wire ends for over heat/poor contact/ loose terminal rivet condition? Have dealt with the flicker issue with older Petes and FLR's several times. It'll drive ya cuckoo till ya wiggle the right wire or loose terminal and figure it out. Just a thought.

skyking1

It is really steady, the frequency. I just don't know if there's another regulator in there besides the one in the alternator.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Does it do it without it running.
If you take the alt belt off does it still do it ?

skyking1

No, key on it doesn't do any flickering.
If I pull that serp belt the alternator is coming right out of there because that's the hardest part of changing the alternator lol.
It sits right up top in front on that engine.